More VW Diesel Knee-Slappers

So, here we were waxing on the non-merits of Dr. Diesel's automotive curse (the diesel engine) when my memory banks of VW diesel horror stories were
suddenly jolted loose and dislodged. Apparently the ill-advised proponents of the proposition that passenger car diesels should again wreak havoc on our senses and tranquility, let alone be forced upon Jeep owners, have slunk off to plot their evil plans in secret. We're wise to the scam, but, I digress....
VW's infamous Rabbit diesel of the late '70's was if anything one of the automotive worlds worst afterthoughts, bested only by GM's even more stupid designs. VW's cursed 4 cyl. diesel was nothing more than their already rough running, undersquare gasoline 4 banger, re-tooled with a different head, pistons and mechanical injection gear apparently derived from some form of German tractor. Head gaskets leaked, cranks broke, blocks cracked internally flooding the cooling systems with oil, crank woodruf keys worked loose, retarding the cam timing and slowly pressing the valves into the tops of the pistons, etc., etc.
Worse was the car itself, which had an insufficiently strong structure to manage the vibration stresses (no powertrain sub-frame). In the best case the body shook like a wet dog with fleas at idle. Extreme cases became routine in '81 when the stroke was increased. Since the center powertrain mount was directly under the firewall, dashboards shook so badly the instruments couldn't be read and the things started shaking themselves to pieces. Body welds broke loose, suspension pieces came loose, you name it. Now, get ready for the fix....
VW "engineers" designed a cast iron brick, suspended on a steel strap, which was to be bolted inside the front bumper. Such as the structure was, the contraption drew the vibrations from the firewall area to the front bumper. Then, of course, the front license plates began to fall off, later the bumper mounts cracked and began to release the bumpers onto the highways and byways of the USA....all this to get a (mostly fictitious) 40+ MPG!
Persons making any further suggestions on this forum that Jeeps need diesels will be consigned to the back of the bus where they can enjoy being asphixiated by the diesel fumes. Meanwhile, I, along with millions of former diesel owners aremed with torches will continue to search out Dr. Diesel's gravesite at night, where we will perform an exorcisim intended to consign him and his contraption to the infernal regions!
Jerry McG did pass the time by typing:

http://www.streetracersonline.com/articles/golfvrcr /
:)
--
DougW

curse
ROFLMAO! You mean to tell me that over 120 years after the invention of the automobile exactly ONE race vehicle exists with a diesel engine? Game, Set and MATCH! (...why, hey, that's a good idea, let's set a MATCH to it!)
Because all the bleeding heart liberals have been bought and paid for, the diesel owners may modify and pollute as much as they want. As this nitrous soot spreading pick'em up: http://www.v6sho.com/videos/F350Run.wmv God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Jerry McG wrote:

Hey, if he can;t beqat 'em, at least he can blind 'em! LMAO!
I hope everyone gets a chance to watch "future car" that was on last night on Public Broadcasting Station, narrated by Allan Alda, he gets an honest opinion from all the hybrid prototype manufacturers, diesel will always be too dirty for California, even with it's gigantic after burner catalytic converter. The gasoline engine, battery, generator, motor, hybrids that in reality get about 35 of their 60 MPG advertised. The Hydrogen internal combustion engine storage tank is far too explosive. Storage battery, just changes the place where the pollution was generated. Daimler is working on an platform that chemically turns hydrogen into electricity without storage batteries to drive electric motors, which is twenty years away, until then the contentious is gasoline is the most efficient, cleanest fuel available. God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Jerry MCP wrote:

https://www.wviz.org/features/0519saf_future_car.asp http://pbshawaii.org/index_home_files/pdfs_may04/saf_cars.pdf
"L.W.(ill) Hughes III" wrote:

An attempt to clean diesel pollution: http://www.hjs.com/hjs_englisch/aktuelles12.htm
"L.W.(ill) Hughes III" wrote:

There's a far better way...don't build them!
On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:12:09 -0700, L.W.Hughes wrote:

So in addition to having a grudge against Diesels, you also don't listen very well. It stated that the clean diesels of europe still don't meet the stricter emission regulations of the US. ...And it goes on to interview Gerhard Schmidt of Ford, who states "We are working hard to make it happen" when asked if Ford is going to start making Diesel cars. The diesel particulate converter is aimed at allowing diesels to meet US emission standards of the future.
You really need to face the fact that even though the diesel was invented before the gasoline engine, its closer to the perfect engine than the gas engine (the Sterling is even closer, but nobody's been able to effectively harness it for average driving.)
-bob-

very well. <
Did someone say something?

emission regulations of the US. ...And it goes on to interview Gerhard Schmidt of Ford, who states "We are working hard to make it happen" when asked if Ford is going to start making Diesel cars. <
Gerhard will be working at the circus, follwing the elephants, after these things again fail in the marketplace.
< The diesel particulate converter is aimed at allowing diesels to meet US emission standards of the future. >
It'd be better used as a klie-detector at a Michael Moore film festival.

before the gasoline engine...., <
Whereupon even 19th century people dying of every conceiveable bacterial infection an morbid disease realized another pox on their lives wasn't needed!

Which, apprently, is why it's been such a great success in the eyes of the public!

harness it for average driving.)<
Alright, this is too weird for me: Bio-diesel, that's for you, run yer car on doggie poo!
You know these are not just my opinions, the diesel will never burn clean enough to pass California's pollution laws. You've seen the numbers that are twice that of gasoline's specs that they can't meet: http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/light.html How about finding a site that thinks they can, with some numbers, like it's time to put up or shut up! God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
"F. Robert Falbo" wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:59:24 -0700, L.W.Hughes wrote:

Well, lets see, since you were sleeping through the program, you missed Ford, Mercedes, & VW all touting their newer Diesels. So I'm supposed to think they're doing all this work with Diesels for nothing.
Let's put it this way... Nothing I or anyone else says is ever going to change your weird opinion of Diesels.
-bob-
NOT ONE FACT! JUST MORE PERSONAL ATTACKS. Typical bleeding heart liberal! God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
"F. Robert Falbo" wrote:

This is more of a general statement but has some relation here..
Only an idiot blindly belives all the "facts" he finds on the web.
Yet I find it odd on several occasions when you were challanged to do the very thing your doing now, provide even one fact, you continually failed to and simply resorted to acting like a school yard bully, much like your doing yet again, and resort to nothing more then name calling..
Bill act like a man okay?
This said by an anonymous person whom won't even sign his/her statement, typical of a little boy that has not learned to take on repossiblities. As far as facts, I will repeat the diesel is not capable of meeting double the pollutance of the gasoline cars for 2006: http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/light.html God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Me wrote:

Hey if you choose to be foolish enough to provide your full name, address, telephone number, a map to your house, pictures of not only yourself but your complete immediate family all on a web site you freely promote be my guest.. I'm surprised you haven't provided detailed drawings of your house to top it off.
What difference does who I am make any ways.. For what legitimate reason could that information be of any real relevance to you?
Until you grow up, buy a home, and take on responsibility you will be unable to understand that I'm not foolish but a proud American, that in the defense of my county has taught me not to be afraid of my fellow human beings. Of course you know you will never be taken seriously until you sign your statements with your real name. God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
Me wrote:

It's ironic you mention that, I just happen to have purchased my third investment property just this past Saturday.. And am still looking into purchasing two quarter sections of land within the next few days..

And I'm supposed to take someone who just babbled about such horse shit seriously?
This is typical of renters: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=author:Me+author:%3Cspam%40shaw.ca%3E&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm 'gib0hkuqa1e4ac9o0so3ctsrqccq5qsf%404ax.com&rnum=5 God Bless America, ill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /