Availability of a 360 in a Jeep CJ

I would appreciate any and all help anyone could provide me on this subject. I am doing research for the Mud Racing organization I belong to,

We have a possible member who would like to join our Stock Class with a CJ-7 running a 360. Our Stock Class rules state that the engine must be available for that truck, that year. I have been researching this for quite some time and all of the information I can come accross states that the 360 was only offered in the j-10 pickup and the full size Cherokee. Not in the CJ's. The individual claims that he has spoken to an engineer at Chrysler and that it was a dealer option in which the factory would install a 360 if the dealership requested even though it was never officially listed. This is similar to the COPO Camaros etc. If some one could point me to a definitive, reputable source (ie. dealer, manufacturer info) I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely, Jody Heard

Reply to
Jody Heard

My repair manual covers the CJ's from 1949 through 1986 and there is no mention of the 360.

I also have never seen one advertised for sale or have ever seen anyone say they own a 'stock' one and I have been posting here for a few years.

360's sure, that is a fairly common swap.

Then again, I haven't seen it all yet....

Mike

Jody Heard wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I think that you might be trying to prove a negative. Looking through my books here and after a bit of a Google search, it _looks_ like the CJ series only had the 304 V8 as an alternate engine (and made it moderately overpowered), and that option went away in 1981. Why not put the burden of proof on your petitioner? Make him come up with a factory line slip showing the factory installing the 360, or a letter from his Engineer on D-C letterhead, or even a print ad or review showing it as an option for his model-year.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

ain't no engineers at chrylser that would know diddly-damn about amc jeeps and engines, I dare say.. AMC 304's were in cj's..same block as the 360 and

Reply to
attnews

No mention of it being offered in the CJ's. The 304 obviously was.

Reply to
Kevin S.

I can't address the size of the engine, but V8s were not offered in any CJ from (I am pretty sure) 1979. I have an '81, and I have the facotry shop manual for that year, and the V8 motors are not listed in the section covering the CJ models. There are V8 listed, but they are not engines options that came withthe CJ line-up.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I am 99% certain that my Factory Shop Manual for 1981 does not list the V8 for the CJ models. I could be wrong, but I think your grid is in error.

Reply to
CRWLR

The last year for the 304 in a CJ-5 was 1979. The 304 was available for a couple more years in the CJ-7 but not the 5 IIRC.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Prinz

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I know this isn't gospel, but here is a guy that says it was available in

1981:
Chris

Bill, Sean is right. CJ5's were not offered with the 304 after 79. And Cj7's lost them in 82. Check in the Jeep owners bible.... Don't chew his head off for disagreeing with you....???

Reply to
Richard Harris

I think he meant to respond to CRWLR's statement that offroad.coms grid was in error.

Reply to
ks

I think he meant to respond to CRWLR's statement that offroad.coms grid was in error.

Reply to
ks

I agree with you 100% that the burden of proof should be on the member with the CJ. The problem is, the head tech has already agreed to let him run and I am representing the rest of the stock class racer's trying to prove that this set-up is illegal. Somehow it has become our duty. They are requiring an official document (manufacturer, dealer, etc.) proving it was not an option. Pretty tough, huh. Thank you for the help.

Jody

Reply to
Jody Heard

Simple then.

Just get your hands on a CJ factory maintenance manual.

You will only find the 304 listed there.

If the factory manual does not list the engine as something to repair or as an option, then it was not.

This changes the onus over to him to get his build sheet.

Mike

Jody Heard wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Richard Harris

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Would the VIN reflect that or the engine code itself?

You are right, I have seen a Gremlin with the 401 or maybe bigger in it. That was a police special up here in Canada. Only ever saw the one though, but man could it go....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain