Life expectancy of 1995 VW Golf TDI 90HP

I've got this Volkswagen Golf with a TDI engine developing 90 HP which was made circa 1995. It's got about 155,000 miles on the speedometer. That car burns some oil but other than that it's running just fine. I figure there's an expensive maintenance job --timing belt-- to be done in about 10,000 miles so I'd like to know if it's worth doing it or better start looking for a replacement car. Or in other words, how many more miles I can expect to put on this car before running into major repair bills?

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Wao

If the rest of the car is in good shape, it'll last a good long while. I have a Jetta TDi with 214,000 miles that I expect to keep around for another 5 - 6 years at 10,000 miles each year.

I also have a Beetle TDi with 123,000 miles, which like your Golf, does burn a little oil, but is otherwise in good mechanical condition.

AC

Reply to
Aawara Chowdhury

I would certainly think it would be worth a timing belt change. I figure the car should be good for at least 300,000 miles with regular maintenance.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

ha escrit al missatge: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Good to know, thank you!

Reply to
Wao

It sounds like those engines are really tough, good!

Thanks for answering. I hope your cars will last a long while!

Reply to
Wao

I had a 95 Passat VR6 that I put 135K on before I sold it, and the new owner put another 135K on it before it finally quit.

-s

Reply to
Steve Thompson

Was that VR6 a 6-cylinder gas engine?

Reply to
Wao

Yipes, it's still just a baby! My '87 Golf was sold with 654,000 miles and still going. My '86 GTI (bought new) has 250,000+ miles and still runs like a top. My '01 TDI is at 215,000. Many VWs can make it to 300K or 400K easily. There are three keys to long vehicle life: maintenance, maintenance and maintenance. Keep her maintained according to the wishes of Mother Volkswagen and you can keep her running for a long time.

Todd

Reply to
racertod

more miles I can expect to

Expect before major repair bills?

None. Realistically; absolutely none. You are on borrowed time.

You might luck out. But...expect...

None.

Reply to
rikoski

Yes, a V6 of 2.8 litres, 172 bhp. My "135K" was miles, not km.

-s

Reply to
Steve Thompson

That was one great engine! Also, I never thought it could last that long, so that's good news! I hope current engines, either, gas or diesel can last that long.

Reply to
Wao