Mk2 Golf not running

90 1.8 8v 150,000 miles-

It stopped running on the road while I was accelerating. Now it won't start.

Previously, it had been stalling frequently at stops.

I get a spark but no start.

Please help! Thanks

Reply to
Ears

Mpfffff... Hmmmmm....

Your timing belt is OK, you have fuel in the tank, a strong battery and all that really basic stuff? The spark is "sparking" roughly where it should? OK, all of the above is verified, then:

a) Clogged fuel filter - when is the last time it was changed? b) Failed fuel-pump relay - Do you hear it run briefly when you turn the key to ON, but before you crank>

c) Failed Fuel Pump - have you checked fuel pressure? d) Damaged (moused) Injector wiring - Rare, but possible. e) Really, really clogged injectors - see "fuel filter" above. Related to this could be water or sludge in the gasoline.

But, if you are correct on everything else, it will be fuel-related somewhere.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Peter covered this all. I vote you examine that Timing Belt well since it might have only lost some teeth throwing the camshaft timing off! I have seen this too many times. ;-) How old is it anyway?

You need spark while cranking and not just when you only turn on the ign! Are the spark plugs wet when you pull them out? Got compression?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1