Mk4 Golf 1.9TDi Rear Wiper

When I turn the rear wiper on it grunts away but the wiper don't move and I've been told the nut needs tightening

I can see it by peeping through the smallish hole near where the water jet is. Does this come off ? (Didn't want to use force and break it)

Reply to
Mike

ISTR on the Mk3 the cover over the boss lifts and hinges over the arm. I don't know if it's different on the Mk4.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Spot on thanks

But this was not my problem. The arm quite happily sweeps over on the first half of the cycle, but won't come back. If I give it a nudge it will return though

Any ideas on how to fix it

Reply to
Mike

Had similar problem on Mk2 need new motor - got it from a breakers yard and worked for 6 years.

doom and gloom I know but that my experience.

Reply to
Ewan Sheep

A nudge? Is that electrically through the switch or literally a push? Many of the non-sweeping problems come about from wires to the wiper motor being damaged where they go into the tailgate. There is a problem with later Golfs with water getting into the wiper motor itself - sounds as if something is corroding internally if you need to push the arm manually.

Reply to
Dave Hall

Literally a push

Well it did happen on my way to work on Wednesday morning - you know the scenario where snow falls down the back of your window, but this would be less than a good soaking in a car wash

I had read about water getting in, but wasn't too sure if that caused a total fail or not

Thanks for your reply

Reply to
Mike

The 'water getting in' problem is caused by the washer pipe leaking inside the 'gate and water corroding the internals of the motor not by rain water etc

Reply to
radar

Well that's consistent with me squirting a lot to rid the salty coating that kept appearing on Wednesday

Reply to
Mike

"radar" thats exactly why i need to remove the rear hatch panel !!!!!!!! must be a common prob i wll have to sort it out so i don't bugger up me wiper motor!

Reply to
mark williams

Is this straightforward to do for someone who's not very car minded

I also snapped of the adjuster for the electric wing mirrors, but that looks easy (after suffering a window regulator failure last year and watching the panel come off). That's about my level of competence I reckon

Reply to
Mike