Mk4 Polo - wheel arch rust

Hi

I have a nice condition R reg Mk4 Polo. I noticed the other day that there's significant rust on both rear wheel arches (an inch or two on each one). I have not been too successful in treating rust on a previous car. Does anyone have advice on how to make a good job of repairing this wheel arch damage?

Is it possible to get it done professionally to make a really good job?

David

Reply to
DavidA

It is. But even if well done on that spot, you now know what the future will bring elsewhere. So, don't (necessarily) blame the shop when more rust appears.

Shops hate this kind of repair as they *know* they will be blamed for any new rust that appears within a foot of their repair.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

It is. But even if well done on that spot, you now know what the future will bring elsewhere. So, don't (necessarily) blame the shop when more rust appears.

Shops hate this kind of repair as they *know* they will be blamed for any new rust that appears within a foot of their repair.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

The repair is not likely to last, however replacing the whole panel / half or quarter panel. As required. With a new one is better then sand blasting it and repainting it. It will come back because all it takes is one pit with rust in it to come back through.

Sandblasting and repainting may get you through the winter before you see a spot starting.

It might last 5 years too.

Id be inclined to drive it as is.

Reply to
None4You

Try to chemically treat the rust and then prime and paint. You can either slow rust down or completely remove it. Removal might be cutting out that piece of metal and replacing it. ;-)

This is an interesting procedure for removing rust, but it probably won't work in your case since you will need to soak the pieces.

click next to see the other picturesI want to try this method of rust removal. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1