MkIII (A3) EGR Valve Questions

Hey all,

I have been dealing with this for a while. I want to get rid of my EGR valve in my 1995 Jetta 2 liter (my state does not require an EGR valve). I made an Epsilon device, but I would rather remove the need for the EGR valve than tricking the ECU into this being a warm car.

So, I got an ECU from a non-EGR Jetta (1994 GL) and installed it and unhooked the EGR valve and the EGR vaccum solenoid, started the car and it resulted in getting both error codes and the check engine light on.

So I now know that the system is not ECU dependant. Removing the devices gives error codes. So, what the heck tells the ECU that this is an EGR equipped car? Is there something on the fuse box? A relay? I am confused now and wondering if I should just change the entire engine wiring harnass.

Anything???? help!!!

Reply to
Adam Oldham

How do you know that the system is not ECU-dependent? From the description of your problems it sounds like the system IS ECU-dependent and changing the wiring harness as well probably won't solve the problems. What is the benefit of removing the EGR system? Wouldn't be cheaper to just service it?

Try scanning the engine codes. I suspect that you are, at a minimum, causing bad data to be seen by the O2 sensor(s) at most engine speeds.

Anyway, if you are intent on removing the EGR system, did you remember to close the vacuum lines that you disconnected when you removed the EGR vavle?

Reply to
Bob F.