muffler for a diesel jetta

Now that I understand that a 1986 diesel Jetta should not have a cat installed, my ignorance of mufflers is truly out in the open. I see many types of mufflers available for VW's; what I want is a top of the line muffler that will keep my diesel quiet without sacrificing power. It is my understanding that I need to be sure the muffler is specifically for a diesel; is that true, or have I again miss-understood? Would any muffler do? Any help from experts is appreciated.

Reply to
jettaman8691

You need the muffler made for that car or it won't fit properly under the car itself.

If you put the wrong muffler in it either might not fit and then all the pipes would be the wrong size and it would just rattle around under the car.

The 86 non turbo diesel actually has two mufflers.

Reply to
Dave

I do see that the car needs a resonator and a separate muffler. I have seen where some fellas have used larger mufflers in an attempt to change the sound and improve the horsepower output.

Reply to
jettaman8691

Buddy....the car is an '86 Jetta non-Turbo diesel....it ain't gonna get much better then 55 horsepower....

Reply to
Peter Cressman

sacrificing

Reply to
Mike

Your TDI and his "D" are like night and day. The TDI can be upgraded in many respects, and the performance gains are extensive. However, on an '86 Non Turbo Diesel, there isn't much to be gained, and one's reasoning for even wanting to increase the performance of said vehicle is questionable. The Lupo GTI and Polo GTI-TDI use an upgraded exhaust system, so I think that you can find something for your Golf.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I have had a hard enough time finding stock exhaust parts!

One problem with anything aftermarket is that the stock exhaust is a small diameter pipe. Another issue is that thing vibrates a LOT, and anything that isn't a perfect fit will rattle apart in short order.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Reply to
Rob Guenther