My first Jetta Oil Change! Advice needed...

I did the oil in the 2003 Jetta today and am looking for some advice. I used a genuine VW filter and Castrol Syntec 5-40 oil. I had to get one of those cap style filter wrenches because all of mine are the band type and there is no room to swing them.

My question involves the splash shield on the bottom. Even after removing the 5 or so torx bolts, there are 2 that are hidden underneath the spoiler(actually the front most splash shield), and there is no easy way to get these 2 out other than flexing everything to get access. These 2 seem to attach to the corner pieces and are blind because the other black splash shield covers them up. The only way I saw them was looking down through the engine compartment.

So what is the easy way to do this?

All VW had to do was put access holes in the bottom most piece of plastic to allow access to the torx screws behind it.

Also, I used 4 quarts and a splash more to bring it up to level. Is this correct?

tia.. psycho..

P.S. The store I bought the Syntec in had them marked wrong, at $6.99 a case of 6 quarts. It was a big chain store. Aid auto if anyone is interested.

I bought 10 boxes :)

Reply to
psycho_pastrami