My wife wants an '06 Jetta TDI but I keep reading bad things about VW

So are VWs/Jettas as problematic/maintenance intensive as many people claim? Are the dealerships/customer service so bad?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mac Cool

They're not Hondas or Toyotas. But they don't drive like a Honda or Toyota either. :)

I have the general impression that this is more or less the case. From my own experience it's ranged from "rather disappointing" to "didn't totally suck" depending on the dealer. The key is finding either the right (good) dealer or the right independent shop.

Reply to
Matt B.

find out how others rate the VW/Audi dealers in your area

search for repair shops in your area
(Use MECHANICS FILES to review a shop in your area ) OK why does your wife want an '06 Jetta TDI? Gotta take the bad with the good! ;-) Things I like to stay away from...............power windows and automatic transmissions.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Matt B.:

Having never owned any of the three, I don't know what you mean.

Reply to
Mac Cool

Impossible to find a recent jetta w/o them as they're standard on US models.

Reply to
Matt B.

Honda and Toyota = usually very reliable and great point A to B appliance but many say they just don't have the same engaging driving feel that VWs have.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
D&LBusch

I've got an '02 Jetta Wagon auto trans TDi and love it except that it leaks in a hard rain. Though fighting with the subroof drain seems to have that cured. But I'm still waiting before I decide the problem is over. Other then this though I couldn't be more pleased. I particularly like that one of the 'gas' stations in my area carries B20, buying the soybeans literally from local farmers. There is no greater satisfaction then knowing 20 cents of every dollar in fuel is going to local farmers and not to bin Laden and his buddies. (I know it still keeps oil prices high, but allow me my illusions)

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

In 1998 I leased an Audi A4 V6 Avant, when the lease was up I leased a

2000.5 Passat V6 Wagon, when that lease was up I leased a 2004 V6 Touareg, then I purchased a 2003 Jetta GLX, when the 2004 Touareg lease was up I leased a 2007 Touareg V6.

All of the vehicles were acquired and serviced at the same dealership. During this period (almost 7 years and more than 200,000 miles) I have not had any problems with any of the vehicles.

Guess what brand my next car will be?

Reply to
Pete LaFlamme

If the leak continues, you might want to remove the pollen filter access cover and makes it's not broken. Either a VW tech or the guys who replaced the windshield apparently broke the rear corner off of it on our daughters 2003 Jetta, and water leaks onto the front passenger floor when it rains hard.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 07 Passat 2.0T 06 GTI DSG

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin

Depends on the dealer. And it's probably best to buy an extended warranty if you're going to keep the car after the factory warranty runs out. VWs have many fine qualities but they definitely require more repairs.

With respect the the 2006 TDI...I wouldn't buy one. You will almost certainly have to pay full sticker price PLUS IMO they're overpriced to start with. VW will be bringing out improved diesels in 2008 and other manufacturers will also join the diesel club soon. For example, Honda will be selling a 2.4 diesel Accord (a cleaner version of one that they already sell in Europe) in 2009.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 07 Passat 2.0T 06 GTI DSG

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin

Toyota?

Reply to
No Spam Please

Toyota?

Reply to
No Spam Please

My general take on VWs is that they are not "owner-friendly" cars in the same way as those from the Pacific Rim, nor are they as elaborate as are most US-flag vehicles.

They require scrupulous maintenance for a fact, something that (apparently) few dealer-shops are willing to undertake and some owners find shocking in cost. Diesels are just a bit "more-so" in this regard as well. Then, anyone coming from a "loaded" US-flag car... pick one... Taurus, Impala, whatever, will find the VW rather sparton in interior appearance.

That being written, if properly and carefully maintained they will run near-as-matters forever. We are presently running an 87 Westie with

328,000 miles on it (second engine). We have gotten six figures out of three diesels, but size requirements have taken us to larger Euro- wagons (Saab & Volvo) as the Passat is mightily costly (and thirsty, and slow) as compared to either of these... which I found quite surprising when we were doing the research. We also run a 99 Winnie, but that is a baby at 62,000 miles.

We also have access to a very good shop that is well-equipped, has been in operation, owned and managed by the same family for over 40 years, and is reasonable in cost (Hillside Auto, Jenkintown, PA). That it also happens to be within brisk walking distance is a help. And the local dealers are pretty good as well. Without this level of support we would not run Euro-cars. Period.

So, if you are vague about oil-changes, and find the "recommended service intervals" to be suggestions only, DO NOT get a VW (or Volvo, or Saab, as it happens).

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

That's not a throw-away car like he's been doing. I say KIA!!!!

Reply to
Peter Parker

Well my wife is resigned to buying a Jetta. The good news, for what it's worth, is that the TDI seemed to do better than the gas engine in the recent Consumer Reports.

Someone gave me a link to a website that shows feedback on VW dealerships

the info was pretty old. The newest feedback was about 1.5 years old, most was much older. Are there any other sources of dealer satisfaction info?

Reply to
Mac Cool

Did you say where you live? tdiclub.com may be a better place to ask your tdi questions. I have had good luck with my 2003 tdi. A few minor parts and only 3 visits to get a defective seat belt replaced under warranty.

Reply to
Jim Behning