Need help with engine nr

I am in South Africa, and there´s a VW golf, i think an older model, i´m good with aircooled but not watercooled. Anyway, the engine nr is not showing up in the police system and therefor the car cannot be registered due to suspected tampering. Engine nr seems to be an oddball, JB631576 Police says car vin shows up with different engine nr. As well the formatting is different, other golf engine nrs look different. Can this be an engine from another vw, or import? The nr has a vw sign next to it, so should be a vw engine. If the police can trace the nr and see it is genuine, the car can be registered. The nr does not look tampered to me. Can there be another nr somewhere? Is there a way to trace the nr? All help would be appreciated, last option is another engine, but that would likely be avoided, this engine runs fine. This is for a customer, not for me.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

I'm going to guess it's a "JB" engine code. Check out this link:

This link also suggests that 'JB' is a valid engine code for a VW:
I wasn't able to find a table/list of watercooled VW engine codes but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere...maybe someone has a link to one?

There's this site

but it onlyseems to go back as far as the early 1980s (and it seems to list enginesavailable in North America mostly and not worldwide) and the 1.8L engines.I'm guessing you have a 1.5 or 1.6 from the 1970s or very early 1980s onyour hands there.

Reply to
Matt B.

I would answer this in private, but you decided to have a non convenient bogus email adress. Anyway, what we look for is to find a way to have volkswagen stating that the given engine nr is a valid one, as the paranoia SA police dep needs that. Odd, the car´s previous owner was the court magistrat, how did he got the car registered? (corruption, corruption, na na na...) Anyway, that is the problem, so... There are JB numbers in the system, just not THAT one.

Bart Bervoets "Matt B." schreef in bericht news:6Vrzc.108$Gy.99@fed1read03...

Reply to
Bart Bervoets