Freebie engine, take or leave?

Today i was with a friend at a local metal scrapyard and while looking around i found completely in the back under a tree a 1600 beetle engine. There are parts missing, such as distributor cap and sparkplug wires, coil... but the engine itself is there.(no generator or carb either) I took a large adjustable wrench and attempted to turn the flywheel, in which i succeeded, so the engine is not seized. I pulled the dipstick and to my suprise there was still a bit oil in the engine. The engine is covered with mud and grass growing over it. I asked the owner and he told me i could have it if i liked. What parts could be salvaged of this?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Hardware for sure, assuming you're willing to spend three to four hours refurbishing what you can buy for $20.

Without inspection, all else has only core value and even that depends on the year & condition.

The fact you say it is a '1600 beetle' engine implies you know what you're talking about. Personally, when it's out of the vehicle and lacking the carb, exhaust and other clues, I can't tell a beetle engine from a bus engine. Even with a dog-house cooler (which may be retrofitted), or dual-port heads I can't say if it's 1600 until I've taken it apart.

Here in the States a VW engine of unknown provenance, lacking accessories, has a core value of about $45 to a rebuilder. That's about $20 for the crank, a dollar each for the rods, $5 for each head and $10 for the flywheel if the ring gear is in good shape. But if you don't rebuild parts on a large scale the cost of cleaning & dismantling the engine usually exceeds the value of its rebuildable parts.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Hello,

I just know what vehicle it came from due to the fact the scrapyard owner told me he pulled it from a beetle 1600 :) Other then that i know nothing. Maybe it does not even belong to a beetle. I just thought, if i can get it to life i suppose it could have a use. I happen to have a scrap carb, distributor parts and petrol pump.

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

It's free... get it and try it.. if nothing else you're just out the effort to drag it home...

in these parts it's probably worth more than what bob (though i fully respect bob's opinion, i just cant find stuff that cheap around here) says as a core... at least i would think so...

how DO you tell a VW engine from the outside other than the engine code?

accessories,

Reply to
VWGirl

Here's a handy tip: Before doing that drain all of the oil out of it. This is an especially handy tip when dealing with a larger engine like say a 360 cubic inch V8 that holds 5 quarts of oil. That way if it tips over in your truck you won't have to put 100 pounds of dirt back there in the bed of your truck for the trip home so that the oil won't run all over the place and then later stop on the way to work to spray the oily dirt out of the back of your truck and have it bounce back and spray all over you and ruin your favorite sweatshirt so that you have to go home and change and get all pissed off and be late for work and then even after cleaning it out have it drip all over your concrete driveway and have your wife bitch you out about it. A friend of mine told me about this happening to him. *gutteral growl* Glad I could help!!! :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Well, if you look at the intake manifold you can get a clue. If it splits into two parts on each side it is a dual port 1600. If it is really small it is probably a 40 hp or a 36 hp. If it has a "pancake" fan housing chances are it isn't a type 1. If it has something on the back (the side with the pullies) that looks like it could bolt to the body is might not be a type 1. If the case has some extra bolts holding the halves together (on both the front and back) beyond what the type 1 has it might be a type IV. If it is 6V then more than likely (in the US) it is a pre-67 motor... that limits the size to 1300 or below, I think... did the 1.5 litre start up in

66 or 67???

Those are some of the obvious things... assuming it hasn't been radically altered...

Reply to
KWW

I'd definitely take it! I mean, it's FREE, what have you got to lose? Besides, if you ever plan on building a performance engine, there's a good crankcase to use (maybe...if it's not cracked somewhere) and you could probably use a lot of other parts on it too. Hose it off with engine cleaner before you even start taking it apart. I bet it will look even better then.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Several pieces that can't be bought new anymore. Grab it, and use it for parts or bring it back to life.

Jan

Reply to
Jan