Need to replace front brake discs... should I get..

Original VW discs, or are the 3rd party products as good?

[If the latter, any recommendations?]

Not for a speedster, just a UK Mk3 1.8 Golf.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

go with your wallet feeling..

Reply to
Regal953

And make sure that they are "Trued" prior to installation.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Can you explain what that means Peter?

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Discs as delivered from the factory are only roughly trued, such that they may be slightly warped, dished or otherwise "not quite right". Installation without truing may make an original problem worse than before.

Any competent garage will true a new disc. Many shade-tree mechanics don't have a lathe for the purpose.

Truing does *NOT* mean *cutting* - if a full cut is needed then return the disc as defective. What it does mean is that the disc might be touched up to make sure that both sides are fully parallel and square.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

if you got to "true" new discs, then you are buying junk! I have used everything from OEM to "cheap made in china, Brazil, Canada, etc" and as yet never had to do that. How does one tell a customer the discs are $85.00 each then another $50 to true them up??????

Sorry I d> >> > Original VW discs, or are the 3rd party products as good?

Discs as delivered from the factory are only roughly trued, such that they may be slightly warped, dished or otherwise "not quite right". Installation without truing may make an original problem worse than before.

Any competent garage will true a new disc. Many shade-tree mechanics don't have a lathe for the purpose.

Truing does *NOT* mean *cutting* - if a full cut is needed then return the disc as defective. What it does mean is that the disc might be touched up to make sure that both sides are fully parallel and square.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But even if you are using your "free" labor and the discs are not true on receipt (and in my direct experience, *NONE* of them have been so such that the exercise has not been beneficial), you will not only have to do it all over again, but you may also have to replace the pads all over again as well. Mercedes, Volvo, Saab, VW...

I take the position that suspension and brakes are the two most significant aspects of general car safety and require the most scrupulous, over-cautious maintenance. The consequences of neglect or "good enough" are too horrific to contemplate.

Yes, I do my own brakes most of the time. But if discs have to be replaced, I drop them off at my mechanic to true before installation. For the $20/pair it takes (he does not have to remove and re-install them, after all), it is cheap insurance.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

sounds like a waste of 20 dollars on your end, but if it makes you happy maybe not a waste

Reply to
samstone

Nope. No waste at all. When the grandkids ride on the work of my hands, belt/suspenders/velcro is the norm.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Two thumbs up Peter! Do it absolutely right the first time! ;-)

Most of the new brake discs I have seen run straight and true, but I have seen some that were slightly off and needed machining. These new warped discs are quite rare! Of course the used discs are usually junk (too thin and/or rusty) and need replacing!

I laugh at the Midas SecureStop brake service commercials as the car flys through the window! lol Actually I have seen someone drive through the front window of a shop barely missing some compressed air/helium tanks. They lost control of the car but avoided hitting oncoming traffic as he drove across traffic and through that glass.

Be Safe!

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1