If MOT centre gets it wrong.. possible to get money back?

Just had a test centre fail my Mk3 Golf, cause : "front macpherson strut has excessive movement in the upper support bearing assembly". This is reported for both front sides. He said when the car was lifted, there was 1cm (or 1in.. can't remember) of play.

I have since spoken to VW and two other garages, and they all say this sort of play is standard by design - VW said they have never seen a car fail an MOT with such a fault on one side, let alone both.

One of the other garages I spoke to offered to double check this for free, and will do the MOT for free (charging only if it passes). They only do MOTs, so are obviously not scouting for work. However I've already paid the initial tester and have 10 days for a retest. I feel if they are in error I'm owed my money back, but I don't know how to approach this situation. I'm guessing if I straighten them out on this point and go back for the restest, there's a chance other faults and expenses may materialize.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

There is probably an appeal procedure that you can find on the VOSA website. For the money involved though, is it worth it?

Reply to
Bystander

Many years ago I made the same mistake when testing a VW and on that occasion the customer had simply returned to the garage and it was quickly sorted out without any fuss. Less experienced testers do make these mistakes from time to time.

Djornsk

I think this is good advice. Try and resolve it amicably, and with a bit of luck they will refund you. If not, I think you certainly should be able to take the matter further. You should not have to pay for defective services, and an MOT is no different. Whether the best option is to sue for such a small amount of money (remember you will need proof that they got their advice wrong - they new MOT certificate from another garage alone may not be sufficient) or complain through the authorities is another matter.

Reply to
Tommo

explain it to the garage, if no joy then ask for a VT17 form and follow the instructions.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Not particularly, but on principle I'd pursue a refund or complaint if they are a) trying to pull a fast one b) getting things wrong. The idea being to dissuade them from repeating the pattern. As it is time wasn't on my side so I am taking no action, but they're local, so word of mouth should be effective.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

book am MOT with VOSA testing station telling them exactly what you have said here it's the Heavy Goods and PCV testing station itshould be in the directory

Reply to
Alan

Thanks guys - I tried. Politely explained to the mech that as a free floating assembly, VW said the wheels would effectively be "dangling" when the car is jacked, and what he described as "excessive movement" they considered normal. Explained that for this reason VW test Mk3 suspensions *on the ground*, with a shaker plate, and routinely pass cars brought to them which have failed MOTs on this technicality.

So he says, come down he'll show me the problem. He jacks up the car, puts a bar under a front wheel and demonstrated that the wheel could be lifted up and down by approx an inch, said other side is the same. I said OK.. that's expected according to VW.. and doesn't it strike you as odd that both sides behave exactly the same? Now *I* would't know if an inch is too much movement (opinions pls..) but this was adamant he wouldn't pass it unless the top mounts were replaced, so I'm getting nowhere.

Also I read that...

"...unless that joint is really ready to ?pop-out?, the VOSA creed is?pass and advise?"

Anyway, took it to another MOT centre it passed.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Too late I'm afraid, but I know people who use this garage.. so if I can confirm his assessment is incorrect I will explain what happened to others.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Reply to
none2u

In that case, I'd say it's worth popping back in, showing him that it passed, and asking for a refund of the test, citing VWs comments and the pass at the other garage as your reasons.

Reply to
TimB