Battery Maintenance..

I have NO idea how to maintain the battery for my Golf - the handbooks says nothing.

Is it basically checking and topping up cells with distilled water? Anything more to it?

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Sang Li

you just answered your own question!!!!!!!!,also keep the terminals clean of corrosion , so you always have optimum starting/cranking power during the cold weather seasons

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

The manual says it all: nothing.

Well generally nothing. You may need to clean the terminals, if they cause a problem or you can see they need it and you may need to add water (the correct level not the top of the cell) but unless it is over changing, you may never need to do that.

New batteries don't take much regular maintained.

The other problem is exactly how to check the acid level is not the same for all batteries. They have hidden the caps so well (I believe some are actually sealed) that it is not always easy to do the check.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If it's an A3, pay particular attention to the positive terminal and keep it clean of corrosion. There is a wiring harness "directly" beneath it and excess corrosion will drip down onto it and eat it away. I caught mine after it had eaten through the cover, but not into the wiring insulation itself.

Keep it charged. Keep it clamped down well so it doesn't bounce around. Make sure all the wiring is clean and tight to eliminate charging problems. Keep the belt to the alternator in good condition (it's the serpentine on mine, but YBMV).

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol