Top Posting

Sorry if I aggravate anyone but it's really hard to wade through the posts when they're posted at the bottom; gotta skim all the original messages down to the reply. No need to flame out or anything, just an observation. Besides, I'll be gone for about a month anyway... again :( See ya'll when I get back! Best Regards to All, Drink

Reply to
Drink

Have a good trip!

tw

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Reply to
twaldron

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:10:39 -0600, the following appeared in rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys, posted by "Drink" :

Top posting seems to be the preferred way here. Other groups prefer bottom posts.

Reply to
Bob Casanova

Yes, I tend to follow what the majority of what others do. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I will guess someone on each newsgroup will tell you if you are responding incorrectly.

Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Did you write anything? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

twaldron wrote:

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I did. _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Bob Casanova did pass the time by typing:

c b p a >

o u r n >> Sorry if I aggravate anyone but it's really hard to wade through the posts n t e d >> when they're posted at the bottom; gotta skim all the original messages down s f >> to the reply. i t e s >> No need to flame out or anything, just an observation. Besides, I'll be d h r o >> gone for about a month anyway... again :( e e m >> See ya'll when I get back! r y t e >> Best Regards to All, e o >> Drink d a s o r i t k e e h o e e o g p r k e o s s n s . e t : r ) a l l y

-

- D o u g W

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Drink

;)

DougW wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

Drink proclaimed:

Some groups tend to top post, some tend to mix post, some tend to bottom post. Politeness is to pretty much avoid blatantly considering your own personal preferences over those of the other group members. On this particular one, nobody really seems to care much one way or another. If you are following up where someone else has top posted, you will notice that even some of the bottom posters will top post for courtesy...

Reply to
Lon

completely with Lon saying However, are who their trail.

t _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

twaldron

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:27:22 -0800 in , Lon graced the world with this thought:

Why is it so many people, in so many newsgroups, have such a problem with this? Thank you for saying it, I was starting to think I was the only one. I love it when someone top posts, and half the people in the groups set on him like hungry dogs, and then the OP about it. Incessantly. As a matter of fact, to the point where half the newsgroup winds up KF'ing the guy. Geeze, when people ask you to do things the way they're usually done in a newsgroup, why argue about it?

Reply to
bizbee

I generally prefer top posting myself as I am used to it in my e-mail program.

It also has the benefit of putting "new" information at the top of the message replies.

What bothers me is when people don't quote back any part of the message, With my deteriorating mental abilities if is sometimes difficult to remember previous posts.

I could track the thread backwards, I suppose.

Reply to
billy ray

billy ray proclaimed:

I suspect this may almost be generational. The folks who tend to use Outhouse Express as a news reader probably got used to the default follow up location, whereas those who got used to the older pure character mode readers and stuff like Forte' Agent got used to that.

As for where "new" information belongs, I personally prefer in context where a comment about a particular paragraph is put right after that paragraph.

That's probably why I prefer the "inline" types of followups. My newsreaders have always managed to flag them correctly and it helps with declining attention span issues.

Some folks regularly do the newest first.

I come from the bottom post generation, so if there are no other followups, I will pretty much tend to bottom post one. However, if there are already follow ups that are bottom or top posted, it just seems easier not to rock the trend.

Except when there are multiple places in the postings, in which case it seems more natural to me to see inlines, but that's probably from dealing with literally several hundred emails a day on devices ranging from multi-user servers to blackberries... and inline is about the only way I've managed to protect my sanity.

However, on usenet, if someone complains I can switch...

Reply to
Lon

Well, I know bottom posting helps in the case(which happens all too often, still)where I see replies to a post before I actually see the original post. Keeps everybody's thoughts in order so to speak.

If you've got OE set to text only instead of HTML, it's not that big a thing to bottom post there, too. Forte' Agent(or Free Agent in my case)does it automatically.

-- Old Crow '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '74 XLH chopper(somebody else's baby now) BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM, DOF#51, DH#2 "There's only 1 RE"

Reply to
Old Crow

I set newsgroup messages to Plain Text Only because I do not want to accidentially post, as I did once, in HTML. I got several cranky e-mails about that post.

Reply to
billy ray

Hey Earle-

What made you change to top-posting? Back in 1990 it appears you were a bottom-poster. I think I like the old Earle better. The new one is too progressive for me. Next thing you know, he will want to divorce his wife and marry a man. :-) LOL! (If he's married :)

Peter Parker

This just goes to show what can happen to people, who have too much spare time. The post attributed to me was made, while I was still under the influence of the liberal commie university crowd, from which I had been recently liberated by Mammon's, I mean Microsoft's, human resources department. The post in question was also made from "rn", a UNIX news reader which simply made it easier to bottom-post.

Bend with the prevailing winds, and you will never have a bad hair day.

Earle

"Peter Parker" revealed in message news:43c14a62 snipped-for-privacy@nntp2.nac.net...

Reply to
Earle Horton