New beetle

As the owner (long ago) of an original beetle I was wondering how the New Beetle handles side winds and 18 wheelers passing by. I know my 65 model would change lanes with out moving the steering wheel. Has that been improved upon?

Reply to
splitload

It's definitely a lot better and you will get the chance to pass 18 wheelers for once in your life.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Big change there. On the road it is solid.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Were they really that bad? My dad said they were fine on the autobahns, and Canadian highways (brough his 1968 export spec model from Germany to Canada)... he just said you had to pay a little attention to things, and it was all good...

All the new VW models seem very solid. I've been in a few Golfs (A2's and

4's),few Jetta's (a 2 and 2 4's), a New Beetle, and a previous generation Passat.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

I think allot of the issues with the old Beetles were due to the fact that people were used to the heavy, North American type vehicles, and going to something like a Beetle took allot of getting used to.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Sounds like my family....my Grandfather's first car was actually not a VW, but a Chev, and once he graduated from law school, he bought a new 1951 Beetle....than later on in life he bought a Volvo P1800 coupe (at the time, there were only 5 or 6 in Canada) and his wife drove Beetles and/or Karmaan Ghias....and really, everybody else drives a VW to this day....

Reply to
Peter Cressman