New TDI Owner

Hello group, Just purchased an 05 Passat TDI and was wondering about something. I keep reading about the "vent trick" when fueling. What is this about and if there is anything else I should know?

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

It is a trick you may not want to use.

As you look into the filler pipe you will see a metal peg about the size of a pencil eraser sticking out of the side. It is placed so that when the cap is placed back on it will push it down towards the tank. Doing so opens a vent in the tank. Ideally you should never touch it. Trying to put the very last drop of fuel into the tank (topping off) can damage the fuel vent system and if you look at the cap or the lid or your owner's manual you will likely see where VW tells you NOT to top off the tank when filling up.

The problem I have encountered is many gas stations use regular gas pumps with the smaller nozzle and that causes the fuel to foam a lot as you fill the tank. End result is a tank full of foam shutting the pump off early. Pressing that little lever just a little will vent the tank and allow you to fill it. I suggest just waiting a minute or two if you want to make sure the tank is really full, or just not bother, you get great range anyway.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan