Gearbox problems - 1st gear sometimes difficult to enage

I have a 1997 Golf Gti 16v with 112k. Recently I have been having difficulty engaging 1st gear when the car is warm. When the car is cold it is fine.....but when warmed up it is *sometimes* very difficult to get 1st. I have to either put into 2nd then force up to 1st or put into neutal lift clutch then try again....

Anyone any ideas???? Gear linkage maybe????

Thanks

Reply to
vw-stuff

You could have worn linkage, but more likely it is worn synchros. The best easy fix for this is to change out the transmission oil and put Redline MTL in it. Look for it at a racing supply store, they all carry Redline. MTL is specially formulted to make synchros happy, and it works.

Reply to
Rex B

I think the most likely problem is your shift linkage is not adjusted properly. My linkage was way out this winter, and I thought my tranny was on the way out, but after I adjusted the linkage, it was fine. Try the adjustment first. The new gear oil couldn't hurt, but I doubt that it will cure your problem. Kurt

82 Scirocco 2.0 16v
Reply to
Kurtis Daniels

Maybe be clutch, shifter linkage. Next time you can't get 1st, without letting up on the clutch try and go into reverse. If it goes in, then it's a linkage issue. If it grinds into reverse then it's a clutch issue being the plate may not be fully releasing.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I've had the same problem with my 96 jetta... mine was the linkage, but its tricky to get just right.

Reply to
Warren Abrey

I didn't know they made a 16v in 1997?

Reply to
Peter Parker

Maybe he is from UK? I am not sure about the right hand drive versions, but the european Mk3 Golf GTI 16V does exist. It is a 2.0 150Hp engine. As the price was very similar to a VR6, they did not sell too much of them, much less than 10000 cars as far as I know.

Reply to
draugaz