Newbie needs advise with VAG-COM and Bentley

I have decided to take the next step, as far as the level of work that I will do on my 2000 Jetta TDI, and purchase VAG-COM. On the Ross Tech site, they recommend purchasing a Bentley "Official Factory Repair Manual" instead of a Bentley "Service Manual" as the factory repair manual has scan tool procedures and the service manual doesn't. The factory repair manual in on CD and Ross Tech sells it for $70. I don't have a manual yet and need one anyway - with or without VAG-COM. My questions are:

Does a VAG-COM newbie need the scan tool procedures in the repair manual?

Is it practical to use a CD "Manual" as opposed to a printed manual? Would you simply print the portion of the manual that relates to what you are working on and take it to the car with you?

Any other comments or advise is welcome.

Reply to
Joe B

The VAG-COM software runs off your laptop. You need a laptop so you can get close to your car's OBD port. So now, if you have enough memory in your laptop, you can keep both the VAG-COM and the manual's "reader" software open on your desktop. No need to print unless you are more comfortable with the physical paper.

Reply to
4Motion