Oil type?

What type and grade oil should I use in my 97 Jetta GT, with 100,000 miles on it?

Reply to
Runjgdrun

Check your owners manual!

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't have an owners manual I got the car used.

Reply to
Runjgdrun

Get the owner's manual from the person you bought the car from. (What kind of person loses the owner's manual from the glove box of the car, or intentionally doesn't give it to the buyer when selling the car?)

Or see if rb.com or ebay or whatever has one for sale.

At the very least, you'll need the manual to determine what maintenance you'll need to do (and if there are no service records, you'll have to do all of the service that can possibly be needed up to the mileage on the car).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

We use 10-30 at our dealer but you may need something like 10-40 or 20-50 if you live in a hot climate for summer use.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I dunno, but the 2 used cars I've had did not have the manuals. AND, this must be a trend or publishers wouldn't provide reprinted owners manuals to the public.

Reply to
93 Fox

Same here. Three cars, two private, one dealer, three missing manuals. The only car I've bought that had a manual was an '87 Jetta for $200. Plucked the tranny and some odds and ends, kept the manual and junked the rust...err, rest.

Reply to
Darryl

You didn't ask the sellers to give you the manuals with the cars?

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee