Passat 97 bearings and climate control pump

Hi all

Just had my drivers side bearings done and it cost £250, £30 part rest was labour. This is v. expensive and now the off side front bearing is starting to go I was thinking of changing it myself, is it very difficult? I can use a hydraulic press to get them out but am not sure whether I'd need to sweat them out or press - any advice would be welcome

2nd point is the noise from my climate control, which I think is the pump as it doesn't make the noise when it's on econ mode, only on Auto mode does it grind. VW dealer gives me different answers whenever I ask them - it's the seals, it's the pump, it's got no gas etc. I can get the pump for £95 and want to do it myself but believe that I have to decompress the gasses - is this true and is it an easy job to replace?

Many thanks for listening to me whinge one but I appreciate any assistance.

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
mp