1991 Jetta Engine Code

I have a 1991 Jetta and I am wondering what the engine code is or how I can find out. Here are the details:

- bought in Canada

- 8 valve gas engine

- made in Wolfsberg (VIN starts with WVW . . .)

The reason I am asking is that I have located a couple of mass air flow meters online, but in order to pick the right one I need to know whether my engive code is "PF" or "RV".

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
sonodude

I'm 98% sure that the only difference between PF and RV engines are the exhaust systems; one has the dual-outlet manifold and downpipe (stock w/105 bhp) and the other has the piece-of-junk toilet-bowl-style single-outlet manifold and downpipe (stock w/100 bhp and a pair of super-annoying clamps attempting to hold the exhaust system together). So either should work.

Reply to
Kevin 'Sparty' Broderick

I have the piece-o-junk single outlet with those two stupid "C" clips. I have hated them since time immemorial.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Reply to
sonodude

Should be RV. PF was on the Carat only.

Reply to
Matt B.

you definitely have RV then.

shouldn't make a difference though for the MAF. The only thing that I know of that would affect one MAF vs. another is the Digifant I vs. Digifant II systems and Digifant I was on California-only 1991-1991 8V gas 1.8L Golfs/GTIs/Jettas with RV engines.

Reply to
Matt B.

Not true my '91 California Wolfsburg edition is a PF.

Reply to
Chris Pflieger

Original engine and not a transplant? Odd...should be a RV.

Reply to
Matt B.

It's stamped on the engine block. On my Canadian-spec

1986 Jetta it's MZ - 1.8l SOHC engine, CIS injection, no cat, big filler neck for leaded gas.

Hardly even broke a sweat at 105 klicks (4000 RPM in

4th gear) going up through the snowshed on the Coqui- halla Highway a few weeks ago. Not bad for old technology with 270,000 km on it. :-)

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre Grid: CN89lg pied a terre..." ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W - Hospital/Shafte

Reply to
Laura Halliday

Good choice. I did that. a bit of a pain but worth the effort.

Reply to
Matt B.