Passat or New Passat?

I bought that 2001 Passat(1.8T BTW), how do I tell if it's a Passat or the New Passat, and what's the difference?

Reply to
Jeff Bailey

On the new ones (B5.5 I believe) the rear lights have two round cirles stacked, with whiteish colour between them... on the old style (B5) Passats they were all red, and a rather ugly shade of red, at that IMO.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

New Passat looks like the current one.

Old Passat does not.

:)

Other tips:

New = chrome around windows and on bumpers, side marker lamps in sides of bumpers, tails do not wrap around the sides of the car.

Old = black around windows, body-colored strips in bumpers w/o chrome, side marker lamps integrated into front corner lamps and wrap around tails.

Reply to
Matt B.

The B5.5 also has chrome trim where the B5 has none - on the bumpers, and on the window surrounds, as well as on the dash gauges. (Personally, I prefer the B5 look.) Also, the B5.5 has cupholders in the center console next to the e-brake, while the B5 has that crappy (IMO) pop-out cupholder in the center stack.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I have a 5.5, and I agree that the 5 has the better "look" -- I hate the chrome trim on the dash -- and the 5.5 has the better cup holders.

Reply to
tf

Reply to
Rob Guenther

To each his own. To me, the B5.5 looks "blingy", while the B5 looks "Euro".

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I prefer the 5.5 also. I think it looks more finished and more mature. Although I suppose it's a bit more feminine too. I'd probably do a B5.5 on a short lease (2-3 years). With the next generation model iminent I'd want the oppurtunity to move out of my B5.5 and into a newer one without the hassle of selling the one I bought now. Either that or try to drill the dealer on giving me a price break on purchasing a W8. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

The dash + cockpit have way too much chrome. I hate the chrome on the steering wheel and around the tach + speedo. I'd also prefer not having it on the shift. It's all so cheap looking and visually distracting.

One of these days I'm going to rip the chrome thing off the stearing wheel.

The chrome on a 49 Merc or 54 Buick is a whole different thing.

Reply to
tf

I like the chrome door handles... I hate the stuff around the shift boot... sunlight reflects off it badly (I have the automatic so there's a LOT of chrome compared to the 5-speed's)... I like the brushed metal gauges on the new Jetta's... Chrome on the steering wheel? You mean the logo? - White and blue logo might look better.

Reply to
Rob Guenther