Passat or New Passat?

I bought that 2001 Passat(1.8T BTW), how do I tell if it's a Passat or the New Passat, and what's the difference?

On the new ones (B5.5 I believe) the rear lights have two round cirles stacked, with whiteish colour between them... on the old style (B5) Passats they were all red, and a rather ugly shade of red, at that IMO.
The front end on the new ones has two clearly visible projector beams and two high beams to the inside... the older cars have more of an old style light that looks like all one piece, but I believe it also is separate low/high projectors, just not as distinct.

New Passat looks like the current one.
Old Passat does not.
:)
Other tips:
New = chrome around windows and on bumpers, side marker lamps in sides of bumpers, tails do not wrap around the sides of the car.
Old = black around windows, body-colored strips in bumpers w/o chrome, side marker lamps integrated into front corner lamps and wrap around tails.
Rob Guenther wrote:

The B5.5 also has chrome trim where the B5 has none - on the bumpers, and on the window surrounds, as well as on the dash gauges. (Personally, I prefer the B5 look.) Also, the B5.5 has cupholders in the center console next to the e-brake, while the B5 has that crappy (IMO) pop-out cupholder in the center stack.
-- Mike Smith
I have a 5.5, and I agree that the 5 has the better "look" -- I hate the chrome trim on the dash -- and the 5.5 has the better cup holders.

Passats
and
I find the B5.5 looks much more elegant, the B5 is looking a little dated IMO. To each his own, as they say.

Rob Guenther wrote:

To each his own. To me, the B5.5 looks "blingy", while the B5 looks "Euro".
-- Mike Smith
I prefer the 5.5 also. I think it looks more finished and more mature. Although I suppose it's a bit more feminine too. I'd probably do a B5.5 on a short lease (2-3 years). With the next generation model iminent I'd want the oppurtunity to move out of my B5.5 and into a newer one without the hassle of selling the one I bought now. Either that or try to drill the dealer on giving me a price break on purchasing a W8. Steve Grauman
I've always loved tastefully (and that is really the key word here) applied chrome (old Mercedes 560's come to mind) and they do it nicely on the Passat... they went overboard on the Jetta - chrome GRILLE STRIPES... come on, that looks ugly.

The dash + cockpit have way too much chrome. I hate the chrome on the steering wheel and around the tach + speedo. I'd also prefer not having it on the shift. It's all so cheap looking and visually distracting.
One of these days I'm going to rip the chrome thing off the stearing wheel.
The chrome on a 49 Merc or 54 Buick is a whole different thing.

dated
I like the chrome door handles... I hate the stuff around the shift boot... sunlight reflects off it badly (I have the automatic so there's a LOT of chrome compared to the 5-speed's)... I like the brushed metal gauges on the new Jetta's... Chrome on the steering wheel? You mean the logo? - White and blue logo might look better.
I like shiny metal objects tho - limited brainpower and such I suppose ;-)... if they spin its even better.

blingy?

dated
"Euro".