Power Steering

Hello everyone.

I have a 93 passat VR6 and when I turn the steering wheel left or right I get a clunking noise from the front end. It does it when I am driving slow and turning fairly sharp and when I am at a stand still and turn the steering wheel from left to right. I was wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this or what I can do to fix it. If anyone has any feed back please email me at: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com. Thank you very much for your help.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul and Amy

Very difficult to diagnose with the description you give, but could be steering rack or outer CV joints. I would say that it is a CV joint type sound, but this would occur only when moving forward and turning, not so much when standing still. The classic CV symptoms show when turning in a tight circle - you hear a grinding, clunking sort of noise. I once had both side's ball joints fail on a newer Passat, and didn't hear much noise up to the day the mechanic diagnosed the problem while performing an alignment. The steering racks are known to fail on the B3 cars - you can check for fluid leaking from the ends of the rack.

Reply to
AudiAvant

Paul,

Does it make noise while turning while standing still, or while turning and moving? Noise during turning while moving are CV joints going bad. Noise heard when turning while stationary are upper strut bearings.

Good Lick, Mike

Paul and Amy wrote:

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to