protecting 110 door frame bottoms

Hi, My 1986 110 has the normal rot on the door frame, at the moment its only the 1 door and not too bad (spent most of its life in a garage), so after I fix it, whats the best way of preventing further rot. It seems the rain water just fills up the frame when running down the inside of the skin from the glass lower edge, and the frame is cunningly designed to hold it, despite the drain holes (what crazy design..) I thought about filling the frame with builders expanding foam to stop water ingress, any pros and cons to this idea?

Cheers, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

When i got mine, the doors were in good nick.

Ive removed the door cards, and covered the inside and bottoms with a spray can version of waxoil, and improved the drainage holes.

Hopefully, going on the opinion that ill never stop the water getting in, it can get out easily. Ive sprayed it with the hose with the door card off, and the water runs straight out.

Ill let you know in a few years how well it works!!

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

It seems on mine that when the door is closed the lower door seal also blocks the door drain holes, so I plan to remove the bottom part of the door seal, would make hardly any difference to the noise... :-)

But the waxoil idea is a good one, I also don't like the idea of holding the water inside which the foam might do.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

I drilled though them at a few points- used one of those 'wood' drill bits with a sharp point on it to get it though the rubber, a normal one slides like a bastard.

It seems to be working ok. The water runs straight off it. The only part im not completely happy with is the little box section bit at the bottom of the door. Its hard to get anything wax in there.....

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

It's the box section that has expired on mine, I think it was more the fact that when the door is closed this box section was sitting on the wet carpet on the floor all the time - solution, take carpets out.... like you I found it impossilbe to get inside the box section to paint etc, hence my idea of the expanding foam to fill it.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

True... but i recon that would hold water...

Ive had experiences of expanding foam before - I tried to 'fix' the tailgate of my range rover with it....

BODGE!

If you are going to fix yours, you could coat the raw parts in waxoil before fitting.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Mark Solesbury uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just drill a good hole in the bottom channel and inject waxoil inside.

I'm hoping to replace my door bottoms at some point but they are down the list somewhat.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Mmm, that picture has somewhat put me off the foam route, once its in there it would be impossible to remove!

When I fix it, I'll seal the bottom of the box section so I can fill it up with waxoil, then drill some decent drain holes. (and catch the waxoil!)

Thanks for the ideas.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

To be fair, it was better than that when i t was originally done - that pic was taken after it had been in for at least 2 days :) - 6 months really.

It started to go mouldy, so it must retain water.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I wouldn't accuse you of leaving it in that state :-) I realised it was a little older, but when it requires more work at a later date, then the foam would just be a pain, and as you say I'm also sure it would let in some water and hold on to it.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Jesus - taken on 2002-01-03 at 10:03:16 from the exif info.

Doesnt time fly...

Reply to
Mark Solesbury