Radio & Tape noise in 91 Vanagon

I have an abnormal sounding static problem that appears when the radio is on (AM or FM) and when the tape player is playing a tape.

The noise isn't affected by rpm's BUT it gets temporarily worse or better if I tap on the radio face. The static also isn't a constant sound as most static is but clicks in and out and affects the audio from the radio or tape with a strange phase shifting type effect.

I do have a snapped antenna-but, that shouldn't mess with the tape playing, right?

I pulled the dash apart and things seem to be connected properly there.

I read here that someone had noise problems from a bad wire between the distributor and plugs. I just had mine replaced a week or so before the problem:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, Rob

Reply to
ohiocityjunk

I have a funny feeling that it is a poor ground connection to the radio.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hmm. Do you now the location of the ground wire? Is it accessible enough to trace from end to end or should I just check connection to the vehicle?

Thanks Joseph.

Dia is Muire duit, Rob

Reply to
ohiocityjunk

Sorry I don't know as it varies from vehicle to vehicle.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan