2003 RX's tape deck stopped working

A few weeks ago, I posted a message here saying that my 03 RX's tape deck stopped working. If i inserted a tape it showed the tape going forward, then reverse, then ejected the tape all in the course of 5 seconds.

I took my Lexus to my reliable dealer for the 95k service and a few other things. They checked the tape deck and said it is actually the radio unit that needs replacing not the tape deck. Cost would be about $900+ tax to swap the radio.

They suggested I think about it before spending that much for a repair. But I have over 300 cassette tapes that I listen to while driving and I dont feel like going through the trouble of transferring them to mp3 files via the computer, (if it is possible).

Any other options besides that radio swap?

thanks

Reply to
J Golden

- If the radio otherwise works....and a new RX isn't in the cards....you can use an external tape deck. Equip the audio output with one of those FM radio transmitters that are used for mp3 players and such. Then tune the FM radio to the proper frequency, and enjoy.

This isn't a sleek attractive alternative, and you might end up needing an accessory outlet 1 to 2 adapter (would allow plugging the FM transmitter and the tape deck into the same outlet).....but it is technically possible. Just make sure that the FM transmitter accessory doesn't get power from a host mp3 player that you wouldn't be using.

Reply to
Wayne

Well, while you're putting off converting them to MP3 files, the quality is deteriorating with each playing. If these tapes mean much to you, I'd suggest you get started on your MP3 conversion now.

HTH,

Bob

Reply to
bob

Unfortunately, the 03 didn't have any accessory audio inputs. I think that began with the 04

Reply to
J Golden

The method I described doesn't require any connection to the radio at all. The tape would be played on a small independent tape player, then broadcast into the radio. The music would appear on the radio as another signal in the FM band.

I have seen the FM broadcast modules at Best Buy and at various auto parts stores. The module requires DC power, and a cable to connect to the tape player audio output. I have used that method to play an early version ipod on a 99 RX radio.

--Wayne

Reply to
Wayne