Raised suspension on VW Golf

Everyone tends to lower their vw golf's but I was interested in raising mine to make it look rally/beefier.

Is it hard to do and what are the Pro's and con's?

I have a 93 mk3 2.0l.

Thanks!

Reply to
-ugh

If you need more ground clearance, there are aftermarket springs and struts that will give you a few more inches of height. The ones I've seen were specifically for performance rally and would be overkill for anything else. Unless you are going to actually drive logging roads, rallycross, etc. it's pointless to raise a golf. Some people lower their golfs for looks but most do it because they've put in sport springs and matched struts/shocks. If you really want to raise it on a budget, you could experiment with some springs and struts from something with a taller spring and higher spring rate that might fit like from an audi 4000. Don't know firsthand though. Honestly, though, if all you want to do is cruise trails, get something like a wrangler or cherokee.

Reply to
K5

If you're in Europe, get a Golf Country:

If not, well, I'd agree with K5.

david. '91 GTi 16V

Reply to
David Dye

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hi Volks!

Rob Guenther wrote (and Erik fixed the quoting):

Nah. 1.8 litre, 90 bhp, ISO standard Volkswagen engine. But synchro, yes of course. Let's leave it to GM and Toyota (wasn't it?) to make 2WD SUVs.

Yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

I actually did this on my '86 GTI...the original springs were sagging and I got progressive rate springs that actually raised the car a bit. I liked the progressive rate springs, and preferred the new strut inserts/shock absorber that were a little more comfortable than the kidney buster ones it came with (guess I'm getting a bit older...but my current Golf is way too soft in that regard). It handled fine...I replaced all the snubbers, etc on the rear shocks when I put in the new springs...not a big deal at all, but good to combine with replacing your front struts and/or rear shocks at same time to save labor.

BTW...the '86 GTI came with a load-level sensing rear brake proportioning valve...not sure if the '93 has this, but if so, raising the rear suspension could affect your rear brake proportion under heavy load unless you recalibrate the arm that senses this. --

--------- Tom Flynn I speak only for myself

Reply to
Tom Flynn

Ohh I figured it was synchro - VW isn't dumb (well.... lets just not get into that). Was kinda hoping it had a big motor in it - then again the 8v

Reply to
Rob Guenther
[top-post fixed]

The Country's engine is very similar to that in the 8V GTI (engine code RV). IIRC, the main differences are the camshaft and different Digifant programming.

A GTD may have also been useful.

There's probably not much technical difficulty in transplanting a more powerful Golf engine. VW may have been wary of "excessive" power due to the raised centre of mass and other dynamic factors.

BTW: I believe that Golf Country were built in Austria, by Steyr Puch. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want a VW off-road utility vehicle, you needn't look much further than the Iltis (which was a basis for the Audi Quattro). I've read that many retired NATO Iltis were sent to Canada a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Bernd Felsche

Actually the Iltis was build in Canada after Bombardier bought the rights off Volkswagen. e.g.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Reply to