Re: 01 Jetta 1.8T - rough idle

I believe my problem has been fixed!

VW dealer in West Chester PA was happy to play with my money, but when they wanted to replace the ECM wirning harness (free part, but labor would run $600)to fix this rough idle problem I took the vehicle back from them. I found a good mechanic that specialized in VW and Audi vehicles. He replaced the mass air sensor (apparently a common problem that doesn't always generate a check-engine code), cleaned the throttle body, and installed a new air filter and the problem has shown up in a week.

Anybody experiencing rough idling with the 1.8T engine? > > We have had coil packs replaced on two occasions and new plugs, but the > rough idle comes back every time. Problem started at about 25k miles, just > out of warranty. Dealer paid for parts the first time. > > The last time it happened we got a check engine-code that showed a misfire > in #1 cylinder. Our local mechanic thought a crack in the coil pack was to > blame for this, so at a price of $180 + labor, he replaced it. Rough idle > came back a week later (no check engine light this time). Car feels like it > is going to stall for the first 30 seconds after the engine is started each > day or been sitting for a few hours. > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. > > thanks, > > Steve Finnerty > > 2001 Jetta 1.8T w/ auto
Reply to
Steve Finnerty

el lobo

I have the exact same problem with my 2001 jetta 1.8t. I am going crazy trying to figure it out. If I find out what it is i will post it and you do the same. You said you had the mass air sensor changed and intake cleaned, did that really fix your problem or just hide it for a while?

Reply to
apollo1302

I have the exact same problem with my 2001 jetta 1.8t. I am going crazy trying to figure it out. If I find out what it is i will post it and you do the same. You said you had the mass air sensor changed and intake cleaned, did that really fix your problem or just hide it for a while?

Reply to
apollo1302

Well, it's not totally fixed, but the car hasn't run this well in two years. The work our mechanic did made a huge difference and was definitely worth the money spent. The car used to "almost stall" nearly every time the vehicle was started, warm or cold. In the last month it's done it 3 times (usually when it's cold at night, less than 30°F). The other plus is that acceleration has been much, much, much better.

Steve

trying to figure it out. If I find out what it is i will post it and you do the same. You said you had the mass air sensor changed and intake cleaned, did that really fix your problem or just hide it for a while?

Reply to
Steven Finnerty

OK OK Now what was done!!!! 8^)

Reply to