Re: 92 Cabriolet: No guts at low speed

Do you have a point of reference? Like, is it now slower than it used to be, or has it always been like that? My Cabbie (stock 1990) is gutless, and it has only 60K miles and runs like a top.

Dan All "show" No "go"

My cabriolet is very slow to pull away from the mark at low speed. The > engine is so complex I'm not sure where to start looking (assuming it > is a real issue and not just perception but I just feel a 1.8 > lightweight car should be a little sportier). Could this and the > tendency for it to get warmish (needle neveer gets much above midway > though although there is the "won't start" issue I mentioned two posts > back) cruising around 80 point to timing issues? > > Rich >
Reply to
OohAah

My 92 Golf goes like stink, 1.8 Digifant 5-speed.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Maybe it is just the auto gearboxes then.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas

Just curious (not up to speed so to speak on the terminology); "like stink"=good, or =bad? I'm happy with my 8v performance although I would say it is underpowered (can be a good thing - harder to get into trouble but still fun).

Reply to
John Rutledge

Mine seems pretty OK when it gets up to speed but pulling away from a stop, it's somewhat inadequate. I was wondering if a problem with something like the throttle position sensor or the oxygen sensor could be the issue. Seems like it is just a poorly geared gearbox. I guess you have to make the gears a little taller when you only have four.

Rich

Reply to
Richard Thomas