Re: Almost got killed today in my GTi

Well, I don't think that it would cut your head off, but I am sure that it was a scary situation, nontheless.

- Peter

Hi folks > > I own a very nice 1994 Gti, black. > > I just wanted to share it with you... > I was aproaching a curve , with another car coming into my direction. > I was doing about 60 k/h, he too I guess. > In the middle of the curve, suddenly the car coming into my direction > shakes and his front left wheel gets off, flies through the air and > hits my windshield just in front of my face. A part made it through > the winshield, but it bounced off and fell on the aground about 30 mts > from where it hit me. > I managed to control the car and brake. I was full of glass, but no > injuries at all. > > A tire & rim. Doing 60 or so and me too. Directly into my face. > > If it would have hit the drivers window it would have cut my head off. > > Thank god that cars nowadays have theese kind of windshields, wich are > desgined for that. Not to whitstand a wheel & tire, but some objects. > It hit me about 5 cms from the A pillar, so if it would have been > other 15 cms it would have made it through the driver windows and hit > my face. > > Almost.... > > It would have been a pity never write here anymore > > > Take care > > Bob
Reply to
Peter Cressman

In fact it was!

It was a 1990 VW Santana. I guess that car never made it to the US, it's brazilian manufacture. It's a big car, a kind of a brazilian passat.

Reply to
ghinghis

Glad yer still with us. Wow.

Reply to
starburst

Actually we did. We got it from 1982-1988 and it was known here as the Quantum. By 1990 the Passat replaced it in our market.

Reply to
Matt B.

Never saw it...the first one was bad enough.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Reply to
Rob Guenther

How can there be a Final Destination *2*? Wasn't it really final then?

More seriously, I'm glad to hear that the original poster survived this incident and is OK.

Reply to
4Motion

Santana translates from the original tongue as "of the devil"....which would explain the ooccurence. I bet you did not have your St. Christopher on the dah, right? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Reply to
Rob Guenther

More or less, yes...in most other markets.

The first generation Passat was what we knew as the Dasher.

The second generation Passat was our Quantum and when the 4-door sedan joined the lineup overseas it was introduced as a "Santana" instead of "Passat". But here, the hatch (we got the 3-door hatch briefly in 1982/3 but overseas got both 3 and 5-door hatches), wagon, and sedan were all called "Quantum".

And to complicate it all further, in Mexico it was called "Corsar".

Reply to
Matt B.

I live in Chile now, but used to live in Brazil. I remember a 84~89 or so hatchback called "passat". The Quantum is a big sedan, nothing special. But when Chile switched to cat-only cars in 1992, those cars stoped being sold here. In the last years a lot of brazilian cars started to made it over here. A lot of brazilian or mexican design VWs wich, no surprise, are nothing special. But theese i'm sure will never get to the USA. Went to the ensurance company today and took the car to the dealer. Glue a new windshield on, a little paint. About US$500 or $600. But it'll be pretty again.

Thanks for all of your care.

Bob

Reply to
ghinghis