Parts from Junk Yards - How to search ?

I'm looking for some interior trim parts for my 2004 car, and I'd like to get from junk yards.

I'm looking for comments/suggestions as to how/where to search for junk yards online

thanks

Reply to
klara

You really have to go visit the yards for these items, sorry to say.

They are too low value for junkyards to spend labor hours inventorying them.

The other problem your going to have is that for a 2004 model, the wreckers usually sell large sets off the vehicle. For example a body shop calls and wants a complete replacement door - they don't want a door that has half the interior trim parts stripped off.

I know what your trying to do but the truth is that unless your unemployed and have the time, your going to spend less money in the long run if you just get the parts you need from the dealer.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Some things you can find here:

CraigFL

I vote with Ted on this one. Junk yard owners dont want to waste time on small items like this. You can go to a place like Pick-a=Part, and they may or may not have what you want. But you can spend a lot of time looking without finding too.

Reply to
<HLS

This is a great site. I just located a nice 3.5 litre 24 valve Dodge engine using this site, but it is usually limited to the larger and more saleable items.

One thing I learned...even if you find a part on the website, not all yards keep their inventory updated. Call the yard before you drive across town.

Reply to
<HLS

A 2004 is way too new for self serve. For some models, even 13 years old is too new.

Reply to
Brent P

You just have to check and see. The Pick a Parts in Houston charge you one fee to go into the main yard, but if you want to go into the late model yard, they charge a new and different fee (which they did not advertise when you went in the main gate). What you find in the late model section is quite variable.

I think the practice is a bit unethical, and perhaps even illegal, but the last time I went there, it was still in effect.

Reply to
<HLS

In the chicago area, no self serve yard I've been will have anything newish. They keep the newer stuff and select models in full-serve.

Reply to
Brent P

On Jan 29, 10:40 am, tetraethyllead

what's "full-serve" ? like you provide part name/number and they get for you ?

Reply to
klara

"klara" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Yes. It cuts down on theft and vandalism of those expensive newer parts.

Some yards won't let you pull anything yourself, for that reason.

Reply to
Tegger

I need a door mirror for my 1978 Dodge van.Thing is though,J.C.Whitney company has upgraded their website and it doesn't work for webtv anymore.(yes I know,get a computer) I wonder if someone would check out

and let me know if they have a toll free phone number? I have already checked out the junkyards around here. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:3180-45BE2ECD-831@storefull-

3253.bay.webtv.net:

1-800-603-4383

Google will give you this number as well.

Reply to
Tegger

innews: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Not to forget the damage some guys inflict on the rest of the car while trying to extract one component.

Reply to
John S.

Woa, they're doing this without the customers knowledge right ? Passing the salvaged part as new from dealer.....

Is this fraud common ?

Reply to
webtourist

Why would they do that?

It's not fraud. The customer usually gets told something like, "you can have a salvage yard door for $400 or a new OEM part for about a million dollars" and they have a choice.

--scott1

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks for the toll free number of J.C.Whitney,I appreciate that.I will phone them and ask for a catalog. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Biggest problem I have seen in salvage yards is the fear of liability suits. Full service yards often choose to pull the parts and charge you a bit more. If you are friendly with the manager, he might let you go in the yard and take a look.

Pick it apart places pay the insurance to let you go into the yard. Maybe you find what you need, maybe you dont.

Reply to
<HLS

Um, at least in this state, the insurance companies are permitted to substitute used parts for comprehensive repair

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt