How to tow junk Taurus 3 miles

I have a 93 Taurus whose engine blew recently. Believe it or not, it was totally repainted following an auto accident in Dec. 06 and had a new water pump and sub-frame added this winter. Thus, I am really irritated about junking the car and at least want to get as much out of it as possible now, but that is life.

My car is 3 miles away from a junk yard that will pay me $200 for it. Wondering if anyone has any ideas about the cheapest way to get it there. I believe a traditional tow is too expensive, and am looking for practical suggestions as to how I can move the vehicle as inexpensively as possible. (Please no jokes about pushing it.) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

JD

Reply to
JD

Do you know anyone with an AAA membership? They can have it towed for free. Give the guy $10-20. AAA coverage applies to the individual, not their car, so any member can request a service on any vehicle they are with when the AAA shows up. Just a thought.

Reply to
Father Guido

Put it in a small print want adds newspaper for $200 and let someone else tow it.

You must have had a 3.8 if it blew.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

You should try listing it for $200 first on craigslist. I always hate it when people tow cars to wrecking yards because when I want to go buy a project car to fix up, I'd happily pay the individual the $200 and tow it myself. You can't get decent project cars like this from yards, not for that price.

If it doesen't sell the AAA dodge is the best one, but the free towing only works if you have the physical AAA card. I once bought a van that was located 80 miles away and was not drivable and I used this dodge myself - I called AAA and bought the extended towing pakage. The card took something like a week to arrive in the mail, and the seller was happy enough to let the vehicle sit on the street (I had paid him for it) I was lucky with that card, I got 2 more tows out of it before it expired.

You can also use a tow strap, but you have to put one person in the car who you trust to push on the brakes, or your going to get rear ended. But, a tow strap costs money to buy. ;-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I used to do them this way all of the time, although with a chain (through a pipe to help with the collision factor), It's illegal, now, in most areas now to tow with anything less than a wheel dolly. YMMV.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

craigslist.org listing may be another way to quickly rid yourself of it. Check the local listings for your area. You may even get more than $200 for it. It won't cost you a thing.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

$200 for a junk taurus!! whats KBB says a good one is worth, $500? have you tried calling a towing company for a quote? I recently got towed 2 miles on a flatbed for $35

Reply to
Max Power

Tried Craigslist for $275, and got no action.

Reply to
JD

But that is theft. You'll essentially stealing services from someone else (like me, a ligit AAA member). It is stealing and unethical.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If it's wrecking yard value is $200 then I'd list at $225. Remember, despite the quote your going to have to pay something for the tow, so the wrecking yard value is really something like $150 or $175. Your listing it at 63% higher than what it's worth. That's way too high.

Look at it this way:

Car value: $200 at wrecker subtract $50 for car dolly subtract $40 for minimum wage labor you are going to have to provide to rent the dolly, haul the car, return the dolly.

Real market value: $110

If you can sell it on craigslist for anywhere between $150 - $200 then your ahead.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt