Re: How do I find a VW mechanic (other than my dealer)

I'm very disatisfied with my VW dealer who is the only local service center

> for my car. How can I find a local mechanic to work on my car instead? Most > of my problems involve the check engine light, is someone other than a > dealer going to be able to check that, or do they need special VW equipment? > My dealer charges $80 just to diagnose when the check engine light comes on, > and I'm really getting reamed it's now the 5th time it's come on this year > alone. My car is a 2000 VW GTI. >

If you have an Autozone near you they should do it for free. :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Z.

Ask others with vehicles similar to yours is one good way to find a good independent shop. :-)

You could buy a vag-com tool for $200, hook it up to your laptop (or desktop and a very long cable) and read the DTCs yourself. Or Autozone as someone else suggested.

dave