too good to be true..

I recently purchased a 1984 Jetta Turbo Diesel GL, which has a perfect body and clean interior. I bought it under the stipulation that the previous owner got it inspected (in this province, NB, Canada, it's mandatory for vehicles to have a safety inspection done) before I took ownership of it. He accepted and we both parted happily. I checked the tires, which looked good when I bought it. I didn't do a full inspection of the inside of the front tires, because that's one of the things that they check when inspecting it. Anyway, I bought it, found out that the passenger side tire was worn clear to the belts on the inside. I shrugged it off as an oversight on the part of the mechanic that inspected it and bought new tires for it. They started to wear after a week. I then figured it needed lined up. They mechanic that was doing the alignment noticed that the strut tower on the driver's side was loose (another failing point on the inspection), passenger side ball joint had play in it and the boot had been ripped (another failing point), it was leaking diesel (it only seems to be leaking when the tank's full, which I figured it was due to a bit of spillage when I filled it up, because the leak stops after a very short time), and there's play in the steering rack and is leaking power steering fluid.

So, after only having the car for 3 weeks (it was inspected the day I bought it), I realize that you definitely can't judge a book by its cover. I called the guy up and he offered me my money back, which was nice of him. So, I'm returning it for the purchased price but it leaves me without a vehicle.

Now I'm left with a couple of options, one of which is to report the garage that did the inspection, which would probably result in the guy losing his license (if in fact they discover that he's selling inspection stickers without doing a proper inspection). As bad as it sounds, I'm not sure if my conscience would let me do it.

Anyway, sorry for clogging up the newsgroup, I just wanted to vent. Thanks.

Mark Currie

Reply to
Mark Currie

You specified that the safety inspection be done, you didn't insist the car be mechanically perfect. Quit acting like a lawyer. The guy offered you your money back. If you want it, take it and quit whining.

We have lots of inspection stations here that sticker a vehicle that has marginal parts. The stations generally don't make ANY profit on this service. For lots of service stations, it is more of a loss leader.

Reply to
Jon

Frankly if it was passed when it should not have been and if that is the standard for the inspector, the authorities need to know. Be assured they are not going to take just your word for it, but they should be aware of it.

Could be some one may die because if he is doing this on a regular basis, then how would your conscience feel?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You should try buying in quebec, they don't need a safety from owner to owner, but of course this is quebec, they do EVERYTHING different from the rest of the world.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Among "everything", we have the biggest ratio VW customers per 100000 heads in North America..

Reply to
Saintor