Re-program key after battery change?

Looks like I'll have to replace the battery in the key to my 7-year old Passat.

Will the car and key remember each other afterwards, or will they have to be reintroduced?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I took mine to VW. For the price of the battery, they did the replacement on the spot at the service-desk, and the car did remember.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

good tip! Batteries aren't too expensive at the dealer either! AND that was the only place that I found the odd size battery for my remote.

I took mine to VW. For the price of the battery, they did the replacement on the spot at the service-desk, and the car did remember.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

NO

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I can't answer for all years and models, but my 2002 NB did not need anything. I just replaced the battery and everything was normal.

Reply to
jmeehan

More than likely, the electronics within the key uses firmware. This cannot be changed via loss of power. Hopefully, you wrote down or kept the keycode if you ever have to replace the key.

Reply to
Dioclese

Are you talking about the key or the remote???? AS far as starting the car goes that has nothing to do with a battery. That is transponder based technology that gets its power from the magnetic pickup coil around the ignition switch.

The remote may have to be resynchronized but thats no big deal.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Craig) wrote in news:gFzCk.16931$ snipped-for-privacy@read1.cgocable.net:

I know it's not a big deal, but if I have to do it, I don't want to be surprised, and I should probably dig up the instructions ahead of time :-)

Reply to
Bert Hyman