Re: Woodchuck, you'll know this one

Now you're taxing my memory because we don't see many old VW's. By Carat you mean it has electric windows and in that case the cruise unit is located in the center console.

88 Jetta Carat with cruise control > > Bentley refers to the control unit as being on the passenger side under the > dash. Where exactly is this unit, I looked for it but couldn't find it. Any > ideas? > > Thanks a bunch > > brad > > > >
Reply to
Woodchuck

The one hose which is a bit bigger in diameter goes to the pedals and servo. The other I think loops around on the pump and yes I think one has nothing on it. That one vents the vacuum to control the vacuum needed to move the servo. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yes it has electric windows, the bentley manual refers to cis and non-cis cars. They say cis is in the console and all others are right side under dash. Thanks for responding to my questions.

Cheers

Brad

Reply to
Brad

Nope, I found it screwed into the bottom of the centre console. I checked the pins for power and there was none. They say to check pin 2 with a test light and the cruise switch in the on position. No power and I can't find a fuse or relay for cruise control. Maybe the module is fried.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

If you have no power at the control unit I would look closer at the switch on the column. One wire you should have power with the key on and the other

3 would have power depending which function is activated by the switch, set, resume, etc. The connector should be under the lower column cover. If you have a wiring diagram it should be easy to test the switch.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Cool, I will look it again when I get a second or two. I did test the connector to the switch (molex just like a computer) and there was no power to any of these wires so I am thinking I will have to trace back to a possible blown fuse or broken wire, problem is there is no reference to a fuse for the cruise control.

Reply to
Mustangbrad