remote locking device - 1999 jetta

I just bought an early 1999 Jetta TDI. Among other snags, the two remote locking devices are intermittent on the locking button.

Yesterday we tried both, they did not function, then locked it with the key. No horn beep on this exercise.

Walked away to chat with a VW mechanic- a couple of minutes later, the car beeped. He said that was the locking mechanism doing its thing; he hadn't run into that before.

Can anyone shed some light on this anomaly?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack