Scirocco euro bumpers

Where might I locate a set of Euro type bumpers for a 1987 16V Scirocco?

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

ebay.co.uk and ebay.de if you're looking for used ones.

Reply to
Homer

Would prefer new, but used in good shape would be OK.

I expect shipping to the U.S. would be expensive, though.

Still, I'll have a look. I hadn't thought of going "to the source," so to speak.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

I found a set of Scirocco euro headlights that way. If you can manage to type a little pidgin German, you may be able to find a seller willing to ship.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Google Translate is your friend!

-or-

Google Translate ist Ihr Freund!

Reply to
PeterD

"PeterD" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Search for: Stossstange on the german ebay. They are not cheap, about 150$ for one bumper.

SFC

Reply to
SFC

I'd consider $150 for good ones not that bad, but anything outside the US will be a boat load for shipping.

Reply to
PeterD

It's $150 for one. $300 for a pair. Plus shipping. Still not an awful price, from what I've been told (I've been expecting $350 to $400 for a pair). But I'm guessing shipping from Europe would be a lot.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Well, we can be sure they won't fit in a flat rate box! Just in the US shipping of big things is incredible. I got some plastic covers for the convertible top on my Saab the other day. Weight about 10-15 lb, dims were about 1.5 x 1 x 4.5 ft. Cost to mail: almost $60! At first I thought the seller had gotten 'suckered', then I checked it with my account and got basically the same rate. Big items are getting very expensive to ship.

Reply to
PeterD

I'd expect you'd get a couple on ebay.co.uk for around $50 if you keep checking, the Mk2 Scirocco aren't that popular here. Postage from Interparcel.com for an 8kg 170cm x 40cm x 10cm package is about $100. I'm assuming you're just looking for the plastic part, not the heavy metal beam too?

Reply to
Homer

This was prompted by the guy restoring my '87 discovering that the metal parts in the rear bumper are badly rotted out. I have a parts car here with the metal parts no anywhere near as badly rotted, but still not great. Say "good" at best. We haven't been able to find any in any better shape than this one.

That being the case, I was considering the euro style. I'd do front and rear because I want them to match.

I need the entire bumper. Unbolt the rotted out one from inside the trunk, pull the old one off, put the new one in.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Bill, I'd venture a guess that importing will be expensive as the dickens, mostly for shipping charges. Size/shape/weight are a major issue.

One thing to consider is someone who is doing an (almost) full container load and seeing if you can have them shoved in there with that person's stuff. It would take weeks or even months to finally get them, but would be much more cost effective.

Reply to
PeterD

There are a few parts dealers for TDI stuff that get containers every so often. You might check with them. Most of the guys are regular guys that might be able to help. I know I have seen at least one of them that has stuff from the German salvage yard. Now if you asked me for specific vendors that might be more challenging. Peter at tdiparts or Aaron at boraparts would be the first two guys to ping. For some reason I was thinking that mjmautohaus was another vendor that does container imports.

Reply to
Jim Behning