secondary air system

I am a complete amature mechanic, but here is my question:

1997 vw golf 2.0L automatic

Check engine light was on, read a P0411 code (secondary air system).

I disconnected the power to the secondary air pump and wired it directly to the battey and it fired up.

Voltmeter on the disconnected power cable read 0.09v

Where do I go from here?

Reply to
BobbyHobbes

The air pump should only have power for a minute or so after starting the cold engine.

Reply to
Andrew Eckhardt

fuse or relay in the engine compartment AFAIK

Reply to
One out of many daves

I traced the problem to a ground wire. The relay works and the pump works.Does anyone know if the ground from the ecu to relay 111 goes directly to the ecu or not? My guess is that there is a break in the ground wire or the ecu is shot.

Reply to
BobbyHobbes

I know, it is also soposed to run for a few seconds 20 seconds after a warm start. I just tested the 111 relay and fuse and see no problems there. The problem seems to be with the ground wire to the relay from the ecu. Does anyone know if it is connected directly to the ecu? I am hoping it isn't the ecu that is the problem.

Reply to
BobbyHobbes

The 30 amp fuse and relay seem to be fine. The ground wire to the relay seems to be the problem. Does anyone know if the relay is wired directly to the ecu? At this point my guess would be a bad wire, connection, or ecu.

Reply to
BobbyHobbes

how did you test the relay? I had a relay ('97 passat) that appeared fine but would fail under a heavy load. I actually took the top off the relay and manually switched it or tried.

Vag-Com tool can test the secondary air system. ;-)

later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1