Serpentine Belts

Is there any truth to VWs needing to use OEM serpentine belts or they will not sit in the pulley grooves correctly and will be noisy?

Reply to
Carl Muhlbauer

Wow, where'd you get this one? At least on my A3 2.0l, no.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

NO! I got a "Gates" on my 99 GLX Passat... and that was 4 years ago.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Here is the source website:

then click on "few common problems" and you will find:"BELTS Have your belts inspected at each oil change-every 3000 miles. All Volkswagens must use original OEM belts because the grove they ride in is unique to German autos. They will make noise and wear out prematurely. "

Reply to
Carl Muhlbauer

Well, two BS points here (at least for mine). Spec'd oil change is 7500 miles (I do it every 5k), and never had a problem with Goodyear or Gates. Maybe they're talking about the no-name stuff you get at AutoBoys, CheckZone, etc. I don't get stuff that's a pain to replace or isn't a wear item at the 'consumer' places, because I've had too many times I needed to use the Lifetime Warranty. Getting Good Stuff to begin with has cut the amount of work I have to do on stuff tremendously.

The rest of their ideas looked ok to me, so it might just be something they've seen a lot of from owners trying the cheapest junk they could find. 3k seems to be what mechanics are taught in school, so they'll always go with that here in the USofA.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol