Short shifter ..is it worth it?

Are there *really* and benefits to installing a short shifter kit in my 02 vr6 GTI? I've heard pro and cons...con's being too much strain on the syncros......pro's being "I can get into gear faster"??? any thoughts on the subject. Thanks

Reply to
MatMite

I generally find that the transmission dictates how fast you can change gears. Try to go faster than it wants to go and you'll start wearing ou synchros, etc. What I find my shoft throw shifter does is reduce my effort, I have to move my hand less distance and can move it slower in order to get the same gear change. Its also more of a personal preference, some folks like a shortened throw, but others like it stock, makes it less precise, so harder to hit the wrong gear, since they are farther apart:

Roger Brown

Why would there be extra strain? The only extra strain is that required of you b/c the lever is shorter and thus requires more force to move. This does not translate to an increased strain on the transmission.

Reply to
93 Fox

I've heard the same thing about syncros wearing faster, however if your purpose for a short shifter is not to shift faster but just to reduce your hand's travel and to have a nicer "feel", then it probably won't matter. I don't think that I shift my A2 any faster with a short shift kit but I just do it with less effort/drama.

Reply to
Matt B.