2003 Model Jettas and Golfs

I have a late-year '99 Jetta. It has needed a LOT of part replacements. I am debating whether to trade it in for a 2003 (using the coupon for an extra $1000 off I just got from VW). I heard the 2003 are improved over the 99s and have fewer problems. Is there a consensus on, or does anyone have an opinion on, whether this is true or not?

Reply to
Martha Bowes

In a very general sense, yes. They share the same basic design and body and platform and most engines too, but as time goes on with any car the manufacturer corrects design defects (e.g.: window regulator clips in VW's case) and makes other little improvements. The car's won't be drastically different but just maybe fine-tuned a bit.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks for the response. I hope in the Jetta's case it means refined a lot. I have put over $3000 into this car, not including regular maintenance, since I bought it in 99. VW even reimbursed me almost $1000 after I got on them enough about the situation. Now the cup holders have fallen off, the glove compartment is 1/2 detached, and the material strip from around the top of the door frame on the passenger side is hanging in front of the window. And I am someone who takes good care of the car. The car is, to say the least, a piece of caca. When it WORKS, I love it. They made so many GOOD moves when they came out with these models. Why they shot themselves in the foot on part quality I don't know. I would have a hard time recommending VW to anyone at this point, but since I know the good side -- the V8 on the Jetta style -- I am still considering the trade-in if the numbers come out good enough.

Sorry for the rant.

Reply to
Martha Bowes

No prob. Many of us have been there.

Since I bought my '99.5 Jetta, VW has fixed the glovebox-door problem; has solved the back-rear-seat-belt locks tight problem; has resolved cupholder issues with one that's actually useful (and doesn't seem to generate the complaints the old one did); comes with a few more features, and has a decent warranty (four years bumper-to-bumper).

However, some '03 VWs (mine for example) apparently still come with the old plastic window regulator parts (mine were replaced pro-actively) and there still are random squeaks (this on a car in its fourth or fifth year of production).

Good thing the car is that much fun to drive, or VW's sales really would be hurting right now. I thought the trade was worth it (plus it got me a wagon, which is far more useful to me than the sedan). And they're giving you an extra grand to do it ...

sd

Reply to
sd

That's good to hear. I wonder if they did anything with the engine cooling system. If I remember right, I've replaced four parts on that system. Also the air flow sensor and some other stuff. I wish the replacements were only the cup holder, glove box and window regulators. That would be much cheaper. But I am glad they are at least fixing those. I am shocked the 2003 still had the play dough window regulators. At least they are fixing them for free.

Does the 2003 Jetta have a line out that I can hook my MP3 player through and use the system speakers? I thought the default speakers in the Jetta were pretty good. Is it worthy spending up for monsoon? Or did you opt out of that?

Is the new cup holder still blocking good access to the music control panel?

Have the Golfs had as bad a repair history as the Jettas?

I guess I should go check them out.

Tomorrow off to enjoy the good th> >

Reply to
Martha Bowes

Golfs are identical to Jetta's, except in some marginal feature content, and in body style. Same repairs, mostly same engines, except you have move to a Golf GTI to get the 1.8T or the VR6. I haven't seen a line in on a car stereo that isn't aftermarket... maybe there is one in the back tho. I know there isn't one in front.

The cup holders don't block the radio in mine, but my radio is the single DIN premium radio, not the new double DIN, the new Jetta (wagon, loaded... only 2003 jetta ive been in) had a double DIN radio, and the cupholders were where the armrest area is.... I didn't see an armrest anymore tho, just a handbrake and two holes for drinks.

recommending VW

Reply to
Rob Guenther

(Addressing the OP as well as Robert)...............................

I have a 2003 Jetta GLS with the Premium Sound system cassette+CD double high unit meaning there is no space in the dash. The cup holders are on top of the radio and pop out when you push on them.

They seem a little cheap but the plastic is very hard, but really no worse than anything else I have seen on other cars. My only complaint is why on earth did they stick them above the radio and climate control panel? Any spills are going to drip right down on the radio and climate control causing potential problems. What were they thinking?

I agree. Maybe it's the mechanism itself that's breaking? Meaning it no longer locks when you push it in?

Anyone?

As for buying the Monsoon system, if you like music a lot I would say go for it, but to be honest I didn't hear all that much difference between the Premium and the Monsoon, but I like Jazz and big band music so that may be a factor. I'm also an audiophile as well as a musician with my own studio so I am a bit fussy with my music. However tastes vary a LOT when it comes to what sounds good so I suggest you give a listen.

The Premium system has plenty of bass but it doesn't put out until you crank the sound up a bit. IOW at low levels bass is minimal. The Monsoon system was better that way. It's almost like the unit needs a loudness contour switch? Maybe it already has one, I haven't figured it all out yet because I can't get my daughter out the damm car. She loves it! Well, it's her car after all :)

One last factor to consider is that the factory systems blend well with the interior of the car and hooking up aftermarket stuff to modern vehicles is getting more difficult by the moment. I believe the factory system is on the cars data bus and as such may be responsible for more than just music. I don't know for sure with this car so you should check it out first. If you do go aftermarket be certain you get a professional installer who is experienced in VW cars to do it or you will have a rats nest of troubles later on in life.

Good luck!

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

The Golfs may have been built in Germany, but I don't believe the Jettas were. The only Jettas built in Germany these days that make it to North America are the wagons.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Correct.

Reply to
Matt B.

Strange...my friend bought a '03 Jetta GLS and it has the double-din radio (Monsoon) and she doesn'thave cupholders above the radio. Hers are in the console between the seats.

Running mid-year change maybe?

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Impossible for any A4 Jetta sold in North America to be of Germanic assembly. The engine and transmission would have been built in Germany, but final assembly would have taken place in Mexico.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Could be! I have the non Monsoon radio but from what I can tell it's the same physical size as the Monsoon, meaning it's twice as high as a standard DIN unit.

Looking at the brochure they only have a picture of the GLX dash (I have a GLS) and you can make out the cup logo on the holder above the radio. My car isn't home at the moment so I will have to check later, but mine was a dealer demo delivered in Jan 2003 so more than likely it was one of the early ones.

Reply to
psycho_pastrami

I had an "early build" A4 Jetta, built in early October 98 and delivered late November. It arrived within one week of the first of the A4s. Built in Mexico. As were the last the of A3 Jettas that were sitting around on the lot at the time.

Early A4 Golfs were built in Germany. I think you are confusing the two. Check the VIN. If the first 3 positions are "3VW" then it was built in Mexico, German built VWs start with "WVW".

1992 was the last model year that Jettas built in Germany made it to Canada until the arrival of the A4 wagons a couple years ago.
Reply to
Al Rudderham

You must be right.

I was told they were all German car, of course this probably means nothing, and makes me look like an ass.

The two Golfs are German tho, they start with the German code on the VIN, and have a German door sticker.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

**I bought my Jetta GLS in February (manu. in Nov 2002) and it has the cupholders above the radio. Are her cupholders in the armrest?

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Had my 03 Golf 2.0 since Feb, 20,000 miles, not a single problem to date and glad I got it.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Hasn't been built in Mexico...only Germany (initially) and then Brazil.

Reply to
Matt B.

The wagons are assembled in Germany. Check a few VINs and it'll show you...all Jetta wagons have 'WVW...' VINs indicating they come from Germany.

Reply to
Matt B.