starter problem? 89 Fox

Hi there, I need you help again. I have a 1989 Fox that won't start. I replaced the starter, and still no dice. When you turn the key, you hear a single faint click in the starter area. Just like before I replaced the starter. Battery is OK, because jump starting won't help. I assume its a wire problem. Any suggestions where to start looking now? I looked quickly at the starter wires and they looked OK.

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin

do a voltage drop test on both battery cables from battery to starter and battery to engine ground.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Yeah check that large ground cable end at the transmission.

AND did you use a KNOWN good starter? New, rebuilt or used? Does the engine turn over by hand?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Insure your battery is good, turn the key to run - turn on all headlights and blow the horn. If the lights dim or go out then the battery is low. I know you said jumping didn't help but sometimes jumper cables fail. If the battery is good - using a jumper cable from the negative terminal of the battery to the engine block will check if the engine ground to battery is at fault. After that the only thing left is the big wire from battery positive to the starter. Assuming the clicking you are heraing is the starter solenoid engaging.

Reply to
samstone

Automatic or manual ? In Park/neutral?

Reply to
Detailing Dude

"Detailing Dude" wrote in news:2m6Th.72329$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe21.lga: Its a 4 speed manual. I had to get somebody to push me at work to get it started to get it home. I tried a new ground with the jumper cables, but it didn't work. Its a rebuilt starter from Auto Zone, could be a bad starter too. Cost about 115. I'll look at it more tomorrow, its raining here in Virginia.

thanks

positive

Reply to
Kevin

OK what brand is that starter? Duralast? Are they any good for the VWs? I think I prefer Bosch starters and they can be sold at stores like Murrays Discount and others.

I have heard the starters from Pep Boys are pretty good, at least for the '90 Jetta auto.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Its probably cheap junk, rebuilt in china probably. I've put at least 2 starters on this car in the last

5 years. The heat gets to them, exhaust line is just inches away.

"dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote in news:_7fTh.7804$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

jumper

area.

Reply to
Kevin

Well my fellow VW enthusiast: I finally cracked the case. This moron of a mechanic had the 2 wires on the selonoid backwards..... switched the wires and she took off like a jet... Thanks guys....

Kevin wrote in news:Xns990FD63A2A47Ekevins7attnet@

204.127.36.1:

stores

because