Starting Problems 1994 Jetta Diesel

My Jetta has been getting harder and harder to start lately. I let the glow plug light go out and some times it still won't start till after quite a few tries. Some times it will start on the first try and then some times it will take a dozen tries to get it started. One other side note, the odometer has reset itself back to approximately

3000kms and has been going up from there normally?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Pat

Reply to
bushmaster

Can we assume you are not living in a part of the world that is currently cold? I never had to use glowplugs on either my 76 or 02 diesels. The new one will not even turn the glow plugs on above 40º F.

I believe injection timing, compression and starter speed all can cause problems.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

All VW diesels use their glow plugs, even de most recent TDI's, even when it is 30 degrees celcius. They will glow for a very short time and the glowplug light not being on does not mean that the plugs are not glowing. My 91 Golf diesel used the glowplugs for 3 minutes after the engine was started, but the glow light went of after 7 seconds when turning on the ignition. Direct injection diesels do not need glow plugs under normal conditions, the only reason they are used is environmental...

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

Reply to
bushmaster

In the Mk3 Golf/Jetta the odometer goes to 0 after 300.000km. Why? I don't know, the older mechanical counters went to 999.999km.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder