Stop me if you've heard this one...

I have a 2000 Golf TDI automatic that will only take off in 3rd gear. If I pull the shifter down into (1) Low, & shift it thru the gears manually, it shifts to the selected gear as it should. But if I try to take off in (D) Drive...like I said, it's pulling in 3rd. Is there a shift sensor or switch that would cause this behavior? I don't think the tranny has any major defect because it pulls fine in all the gears (manually). Anyone else had a similar problem? Oh yes, & where-the-heck is the transmission dipstick?...thanks ppl.

Reply to
David

It's in "limp mode"... time to get a fault code scan. There is no dip-stick.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Thanks for the info. Have any of you used the "Ctool"? I have one ordered & hopefully it will be here in a few days. It reads codes & resets codes after the repairs are done. My owners manual tells nothing about trans. fluid capacity, nor how to check it. What's the secret?? Can anyone tell me how to get the system out of "limp mode"?...Thanks WoodChuck

Reply to
David