Gear Changing Stiff

Hi All

Please can someone give me any ideas as to why my car petrol 405 L reg, gears get stiff when changing gears but only once the car is hot? i usually do 8 mile round trip to work and back but if i deviate and go further then the gears become so stiff, its difficult for me to get it into gear, once i had to free wheel to side of road because it stuck in neutral and would not shift into any gear, i jiggled it around a bit and eventually it went into to gear so i could carry on. Any ideas? it's not the clutch as got garage across the road at work and the mechanic took it for test drive and said clutch was loose but tightened the cable for me and said its not the clutch thats fine. so i'm lost for ideas.

Thanks

Lee

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

I'm interested too, because my "new" M-reg 405 estate gearbox gets stiff after a lot of gear changing in traffic or on back road driving (but ok on long motorway trips). I thought it might be the clutch, because if you are not careful it can crunch on reverse ... but I await the panel's views.

lee405 via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
Wichita

Engine mount moveing about.?there is a rubber boot that fits over the links as it come from the tunnel, if that is pulled back in some way that could do it.after a lot of changes it could well be pulling back over its self.

Reply to
Chrs

I don't think its anything to do with the clutch as mechacnic said normally if clutch is involved you wold see the car reving but the power would not be there, which is not the case the car has the pulling power, but like you if i drive longer than the normal ,which come to think of it did mean i was changing gears more due to city traffic etc so maybe there is a link.

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

is this some thing i can see from the bonnet? or is it underneath?

thanks Lee

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

sorry you have to get under the car to see if this is the problem.does the engine move about when u try and rock it??you can see the rubber boot on the gear-link if it is the same as my 405.its the main shaft from inside the car.i pulled my rubber back and put some oil over the shaft and guess what it is very smooth now as before it was getting stiff.

Reply to
Chrs

i'll rock the car to see if the engine moves then, but i'm sure it doesn't as had problems getting the oil filler cap off a while back (mine is rght at front of engine) and my neighbour really had to pull and twist the cap whilst gripping the engine and there was no movement that i remember. and jsut uese normal engine oil?

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/peugeot/200707/1

cable becomes a problem due to heat or the clutch release lever is snagging.

Reply to
daddyfreddy