Re: A/C drains vr6 power

I think a greater power lose is because of the high temperatures and humidity. Was told years back that AC compressor only needs about 3hp.

02 gti vr6...... I live in south Florida. June thru October normal temps are > in the high 80s. My A/C is on just about every time I am driving the car. > There is a noticeable power difference when the A/C is off. Does anyone know > much horsepower is lost while the engine is running the A/C unit? > thanx >
Reply to
Woodchuck

Not the same car/engine, but my New Beetle actually surges when I turn the A/C on or off. It's definitely noticible when the air is on... yours is likely normal (plus what Woodchuck said about the condition of the air).

TOE

Reply to
TOE

The heat would make it harder to cool, but I think humid air actually makes it easier for the ac to cool (b/c heat exchange with humid air is more efficient).

Reply to
93 Fox

Approx 17 hp

Reply to