Too much oil during a regular maintenance on my VW Golf TDI '04

Hi.

During my last maintenance at my VW dealership, they added to much oil in my engine. Unfortunately for me, I didn't saw the problem until I got a serious side effect.

I was going around 100 km/h and the engine RPMs went really high and the fifth gear disengage by itself. A strong smell of oil happened right after. I was able to shutdown the engine and restart it on compression (at around 60 km/h). Less than a mile after, I got the same problem but this time, a huge cloud of white smoke came out from the car. It's hard to tell exactly from where the smoke came since there was so much of it. I was able to stop and went (slowly) to my dealer. It took a visual inspection of the engine and said nothing was wrong. After going to work, I check the oil after 4 hours. The oil mark was around one inch from the max line. I finally went back and they drained the oil and said nothing could have been damaged.

I'm not sure if I should believe them after reading some of the posting here. I did call after to complain and said to come and check my onboard computer if any error were recorded. For sure, they said nothing was wrong on the computer.

Now, what can I do? Is there any way I could see if any damage was done to my engine? I don't want to find something in 2-3 years, after the warranty is done.

Please help me.

Reply to
Pat

How much extra oil was in teh crankcase, and how did you determine it? If you have proof and its on written record with a dealer, you should have no trouble going back if there are problems directly related to the extra oil even after warranty. Especially if you address teh paper trail issue with VW now, instead of when and if a future out of warranty problem occurs.

Reply to
Biz

Any problems resulting should show up rather quickly. Keep a eye out for leaks and oil consumption. It's also possible that your catalytic converter was damaged. As the first respondent said make sure you have it well documented.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Whato do you want to bet they added oil after forgetting to actually take the old oil out? Probably left the old filter on there as well. Which is why it's sometimes a good idea to mark your existing filter. That way you can SEE if they actually changed it or just wiped it off. I just scratch mine with a screwdriver a few times.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99